From: Jeff Furlong <jeff.furlong@wdc.com>
To: Gnana Sekhar <kgsgnana2020@gmail.com>,
	Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@gmail.com>
Cc: fio <fio@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: Failures noticed in FIO run
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 18:39:14 +0000	[thread overview]

> Also which of the below do you think I should use to get the LBA size on device blockdev --getbsz /dev/nvme0n1 or blockdev --getss /dev/nvme0n1

I believe getbsz will always return the physical block size, while getss will return the logical block size.  Most SSDs have a 4096B physical block size, and some support emulating a 512B block size to the host, while still internally maintaining a 4096B physical block size.  So if you formatted your namespace 1 for 4096B or 512B, in both cases, getbsz returns 4096B.  Only if you formatted your namespace 1 to 512B will getss return 512B.  And if you formatted for metadata or protection information, it will be more difficult (you might want to look at a nvme command with nvme-cli instead of using these legacy ioctls).

Regards,
Jeff