From: "Russell, Scott" <Scott.Russell2@ncr.com>
To: "brian m. carlson" <sandals@crustytoothpaste.net>
Cc: "Randall S. Becker" <rsbecker@nexbridge.com>,
	'Emily Shaffer' <emilyshaffer@google.com>,
	"git@vger.kernel.org" <git@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: pull failed - why should I receive this message.
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 20:49:19 +0000	[thread overview]

Thanks Brian,

I expect that may well solve the issue.  I will try it.

Thanks,

Scott Russell
NCR Corporation

On 2021-09-24 at 20:13:15, Russell, Scott wrote:
> Brian,
>
> You are correct.  This is a build system.  And your responses are the most useful so far.
>
> "git fetch origin" - okay
>
> For this one, is there a way to specify just the head?   I just want the latest - and don't want to try to figure out what 'Revision' may be.
>
> "git checkout -f REVISION"

Pretend the branch you want to operate on is called "main".  Assuming that your remote is origin, then you can write "git checkout -f origin/main", or, if you want to be more precise, "git checkout -f refs/remotes/origin/main".  That will check out whatever's at the tip of main.

Note that doing that will result in a detached HEAD, which probably doesn't matter for you.  In case it does, you can check out your local branch to match it by doing "git checkout -f -B main refs/remotes/origin/main".
That will make sure you're on a branch called "main" and will reset it to whatever was on the tip of main when you did your fetch.  If you wanted your local branch to be called "dev" instead, you could do this:

  git checkout -f -B dev refs/remotes/origin/main
--
brian m. carlson (he/him or they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA