From: Etienne-Hugues Fortin <efortin@cyberspicace.com>
To: Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@gmail.com>,
	"Elliott, Robert (Persistent Memory)" <elliott@hpe.com>
Cc: fio <fio@vger.kernel.org>, Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>
Subject: RE: FIO 3.11
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 10:26:21 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

I tried the flow feature on a two jobs workload as a simple test but when using fio in VM as load generator, fio use 100% of the CPU in each VM. Is that expected? As a result, there was basically no workload read/write to the disks. I may have misconfigured something but I did use it as in the butterfly seek pattern example replacing the jobs by one for read and a second one for write. I put flow=7 in first job and flow=3 in the second job to get 70%/30%. As it was using all the resources, I didn't push it more and try it on physical servers as that's not how we want to operate when doing load simulation.

I don't have this issue when using fio without flow in those same VM.

Let me know if you have suggestion around flow with VM, I'm willing to test it further if you think it should work without overloading the CPU in such a setup.

Thank you.

Etienne