* [Qemu-devel] Re: IRC channel movement -> FreeNode to OFTC
       [not found] <20101209133635.4780834A3D@zimbra14-e2.priv.proxad.net>
@ 2010-12-09 14:06 ` François Revol
From: François Revol @ 2010-12-09 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi,

> I'd like to move IRC channels from FreeNode to OFTC, so please join #qemu on OFTC starting now.

- what's wrong with freenode ? everyone is there.
- #define OFTC ?

François.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: IRC channel movement -> FreeNode to OFTC
@ 2010-12-09 22:44   ` Brian Jackson
From: Brian Jackson @ 2010-12-09 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: François Revol

On Thursday, December 09, 2010 08:06:10 am François Revol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I'd like to move IRC channels from FreeNode to OFTC, so please join #qemu
> > on OFTC starting now.
>
> - what's wrong with freenode ? everyone is there.

I can't speak for Anthony or the other devs, but freenode has some strange
policies:
A. Must be registered to talk in a channel
B. They have weird rules wrt running bots (ask #kvm how nice it was to have an
infobot in there before freenode banned it)
C. They have strange rules about groups and channel ownership
D. Their non-profit status in the US was terminated for failure to file
paperwork properly

They're run without any oversight, and there's no clear election or staff
structure that suggests continuity of service.

> - #define OFTC ?

www.oftc.net
irc.oftc.net

@ 2011-01-24 19:13     ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2011-01-24 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Jackson; +Cc: François Revol, qemu-devel

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 17:44, Brian Jackson wrote:
> A. Must be registered to talk in a channel

i'm fairly certain that is a per-channel setting

> C. They have strange rules about groups and channel ownership

ive never had a problem

> D. Their non-profit status in the US was terminated for failure to file
> paperwork properly

not terribly relevant if the network continues to function ... just
dont give them money
-mike

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: IRC channel movement -> FreeNode to OFTC
@ 2011-01-24 19:16       ` François Revol
From: François Revol @ 2011-01-24 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: Brian Jackson, qemu-devel

Le 24 janv. 2011 à 20:13, Mike Frysinger a écrit :

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 17:44, Brian Jackson wrote:
>> A. Must be registered to talk in a channel
>
> i'm fairly certain that is a per-channel setting

Indeed, only on #qemu do I have to identify to talk, other channels don't require it.

>> D. Their non-profit status in the US was terminated for failure to file
>> paperwork properly
>
> not terribly relevant if the network continues to function ... just
> dont give them money

+1

@ 2011-01-25 20:05       ` Brian Jackson
From: Brian Jackson @ 2011-01-25 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: François Revol, qemu-devel

On 1/24/2011 1:13 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 17:44, Brian Jackson wrote:
>> A. Must be registered to talk in a channel
> i'm fairly certain that is a per-channel setting

But none of the current developers have access to the channel to change
the setting and it's on by default...

>> C. They have strange rules about groups and channel ownership
> ive never had a problem

Yeah, this was a bit vague. I think the biggest issue is that nobody
that's actually involved in qemu currently has any ability to do
anything with the #qemu@freenode. So it's either make a
#therealqemu@freenode, try to convince freenode that the current
developers should have access, or move to a network that is friendlier
to it's users. Guess which one is easiest?

>> D. Their non-profit status in the US was terminated for failure to file
>> paperwork properly
> not terribly relevant if the network continues to function ... just
> dont give them money
> -mike

If nobody gives them money how are they going to continue operating?

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: IRC channel movement -> FreeNode to OFTC
@ 2011-01-25 22:24         ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2011-01-25 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Jackson; +Cc: François Revol, qemu-devel

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:05, Brian Jackson wrote:
> On 1/24/2011 1:13 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 17:44, Brian Jackson wrote:
>>> C. They have strange rules about groups and channel ownership
>>
>> ive never had a problem
>
> Yeah, this was a bit vague. I think the biggest issue is that nobody that's
> actually involved in qemu currently has any ability to do anything with the
> #qemu@freenode. So it's either make a #therealqemu@freenode, try to convince
> freenode that the current developers should have access, or move to a
> network that is friendlier to it's users. Guess which one is easiest?

so from your point, it's more a matter of "freenode sucks because
we've lost control of the official qemu channel" and "OFTC works
because we currently have active developers who control the official
qemu channel".  so when control is lost on OFTC, where to next ?  i
vote for EFnet.

>>> D. Their non-profit status in the US was terminated for failure to file
>>> paperwork properly
>>
>> not terribly relevant if the network continues to function ... just
>> dont give them money
>
> If nobody gives them money how are they going to continue operating?

considering they have volunteer servers from organizations that get
money for other reasons already, i dont think they're going to
implode.  or if they do, you then have an argument that no one can
defend -- "let's move to OFTC because freenode no longer exists".
-mike

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: IRC channel movement -> FreeNode to OFTC
@ 2011-01-25 22:40           ` Brian Jackson
From: Brian Jackson @ 2011-01-25 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: François Revol, qemu-devel

On 1/25/2011 4:24 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:05, Brian Jackson wrote:
>>> ive never had a problem
>> Yeah, this was a bit vague. I think the biggest issue is that nobody that's
>> actually involved in qemu currently has any ability to do anything with the
>> #qemu@freenode. So it's either make a #therealqemu@freenode, try to convince
>> freenode that the current developers should have access, or move to a
>> network that is friendlier to it's users. Guess which one is easiest?
> so from your point, it's more a matter of "freenode sucks because
> we've lost control of the official qemu channel" and "OFTC works
> because we currently have active developers who control the official
> qemu channel".  so when control is lost on OFTC, where to next ?  i
> vote for EFnet.

>>> not terribly relevant if the network continues to function ... just
>>> dont give them money
>> If nobody gives them money how are they going to continue operating?
> considering they have volunteer servers from organizations that get
> money for other reasons already, i dont think they're going to
> implode.  or if they do, you then have an argument that no one can
> defend -- "let's move to OFTC because freenode no longer exists".
> -mike

Really it's a moot point. The channel already moved. I don't think
moving back buys us anything at this point.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: IRC channel movement -> FreeNode to OFTC
@ 2011-01-25 23:22             ` François Revol
From: François Revol @ 2011-01-25 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers; +Cc: Mike Frysinger

(btw, Brian Jackson <iggy@theiggy.com> seems to be rejected by my smtp here:
Recipient address rejected: Domain not found)

Le 25 janv. 2011 à 23:40, Brian Jackson a écrit :

>>> If nobody gives them money how are they going to continue operating?
>> considering they have volunteer servers from organizations that get
>> money for other reasons already, i dont think they're going to
>> implode.  or if they do, you then have an argument that no one can
>> defend -- "let's move to OFTC because freenode no longer exists".
>> -mike
>

> Really it's a moot point. The channel already moved. I don't think moving back buys us anything at this point.

Except people who don't go there by laziness because all their other channels are on freenode.
Raise your hands ! \o_

From: François Revol @ 2011-01-25 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: QEMU Developers

Le 25 janv. 2011 à 23:24, Mike Frysinger a écrit :

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:05, Brian Jackson wrote:
>>>
>>> ive never had a problem
>>
>> Yeah, this was a bit vague. I think the biggest issue is that nobody that's
>> actually involved in qemu currently has any ability to do anything with the
>> #qemu@freenode. So it's either make a #therealqemu@freenode, try to convince
>> freenode that the current developers should have access, or move to a
>> network that is friendlier to it's users. Guess which one is easiest?
>
> so from your point, it's more a matter of "freenode sucks because
> we've lost control of the official qemu channel" and "OFTC works
> because we currently have active developers who control the official
> qemu channel".  so when control is lost on OFTC, where to next ?  i
> vote for EFnet.

No but it should be possible to ask the freenode team to drop the current owners, they shall see if it's not been worked on for a while.

François.