* Softoff features in PLDM lib.
@ 2021-10-09 11:47 Thu Nguyen
From: Thu Nguyen @ 2021-10-09 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc, liuxiwei, duanzhijia01

Dear Chicago Duan and George Liu,

In PLDM source, I saw that Inspur supported graceful shutdown the host
OS thru PLDM commands.

https://github.com/openbmc/pldm/commit/184f60263a0e4c3dda934d94ecb2a904ef835299#diff-59fd39a9594f6d6f82af25037f211858fafa418aacc055e85b4cc29abccf9dee

The feature used PLDM Platform SetEffecterState command to request the
host OS shutdown.

I wonder which part in the host software will response for this PLDM
request?

Does the host OS ( Centos, Ubuntu...) directly handle this type of command?

Thanks.

Thu Nguyen.

* Re: Softoff features in PLDM lib.
@ 2021-10-11 18:01 ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2021-10-11 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thu Nguyen; +Cc: openbmc, liuxiwei, duanzhijia01

> On Oct 9, 2021, at 7:47 AM, Thu Nguyen <thu@amperemail.onmicrosoft.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Chicago Duan and George Liu,
>

> In PLDM source, I saw that Inspur supported graceful shutdown the host OS thru PLDM commands.
>
> https://github.com/openbmc/pldm/commit/184f60263a0e4c3dda934d94ecb2a904ef835299#diff-59fd39a9594f6d6f82af25037f211858fafa418aacc055e85b4cc29abccf9dee
>
> The feature used PLDM Platform SetEffecterState command to request the host OS shutdown.
>
> I wonder which part in the host software will response for this PLDM request?
>
> Does the host OS ( Centos, Ubuntu...) directly handle this type of command?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Thu Nguyen.

Some POWER architecture servers run a type one hypervisor called PowerVM.  This is the only operating system I’m aware of that has a PLDM implementation.  If anyone watching is aware of any others please correct me.

The BMC code you reference was written specifically with PowerVM in mind.  In theory any software running on the host processor _could_ implement mctp & plum and support this effector but I honestly don’t ever see that happening in say, Windows or a typical Linux distribution (Centos, Ubuntu...).

How did you implement soft-off-via-bmc before OpenBMC?

I’d be curious to know how this soft-off-via-bmc functionality is typically implemented in x86 or arm based server designs with arbitrary operating systems.

thx - brad

* Re: Softoff features in PLDM lib.
@ 2021-10-15  4:14   ` Thu Nguyen
From: Thu Nguyen @ 2021-10-15  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: openbmc, liuxiwei, duanzhijia01

On 12/10/2021 01:01, Brad Bishop wrote:

>> On Oct 9, 2021, at 7:47 AM, Thu Nguyen<thu@amperemail.onmicrosoft.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Dear Chicago Duan and George Liu,
>>

>> In PLDM source, I saw that Inspur supported graceful shutdown the host OS thru PLDM commands.
>>
>> https://github.com/openbmc/pldm/commit/184f60263a0e4c3dda934d94ecb2a904ef835299#diff-59fd39a9594f6d6f82af25037f211858fafa418aacc055e85b4cc29abccf9dee
>>
>> The feature used PLDM Platform SetEffecterState command to request the host OS shutdown.
>>
>> I wonder which part in the host software will response for this PLDM request?
>>
>> Does the host OS ( Centos, Ubuntu...) directly handle this type of command?
>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Thu Nguyen.
> Some POWER architecture servers run a type one hypervisor called PowerVM.  This is the only operating system I’m aware of that has a PLDM implementation.  If anyone watching is aware of any others please correct me.
Thank for your info.
> The BMC code you reference was written specifically with PowerVM in mind.  In theory any software running on the host processor _could_ implement mctp & plum and support this effector but I honestly don’t ever see that happening in say, Windows or a typical Linux distribution (Centos, Ubuntu...).
>
> How did you implement soft-off-via-bmc before OpenBMC?

The softoff in OpenBmc is using host IPMI command thru BT interface to
request shutdown the host OS.

In Ampere, we are using feature ACPI graceful shutdown, Bmc will trigger
GPIO SHUTDOWN_REQ,

Linux host OS detects GPIO pins then shutdown the host OS.

Regards.

Thu Nguyen.

@ 2021-10-15 13:27     ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2021-10-15 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thu Nguyen; +Cc: openbmc, liuxiwei, duanzhijia01

On Fri, 2021-10-15 at 11:14 +0700, Thu Nguyen wrote:

> On 12/10/2021 01:01, Brad Bishop wrote:
> >

> > How did you implement soft-off-via-bmc before OpenBMC?
>
> The softoff in OpenBmc is using host IPMI command thru BT interface to
> request shutdown the host OS.
>
> In Ampere, we are using feature ACPI graceful shutdown, Bmc will
> trigger GPIO SHUTDOWN_REQ,
>
> Linux host OS detects GPIO pins then shutdown the host OS.

To shutdown the host you set a GPIO.  That's awesome.  Nice and simple,
I like it!

thx - brad