From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
To: ath9k-devel@lists.ath9k.org
Subject: [ath9k-devel] ath9k not connecting to one particular network..
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:04:14 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Jouni Malinen <jouni@qca.qualcomm.com> wrote:

> This looks very basic case taken into account the AP configuration (just
> WPA2-Personal/CCMP) and passphrase that should not allow much of a
> chance for typos or encoding issues (non-ASCII..).

Hmm. I'm certain I didn't mistype it, and I did it several times (with
"show text"), and it really is a very simple 8-character passphrase
("condo000").

But it is certainly possible that the key got corrupted in between the
GUI element and the actual PSK key. When I do it manually, there's
only the "wpa_passphrase" thing that writes out the PSK key, and there
is much less room for that to get screwed up somewhere.

> However, I cannot
> find anything obvious from the debug log. For some reason, the AP just
> rejects EAPOL-Key message 2/4 from the station. In most cases, this is
> because of a typo in the PSK/passphrase, but it sounds quite unlikely
> here unless NM somehow configured this differently (which would also be
> surprising if it applies only for this specific network).

Yeah, as mentioned, I can literally switch between the two wireless
networks here in the room, and they are both WPA2. My phone just has a
much more complex passphrase.

> Since it looks like the particular passphrase is of not much need for
> protection, it could be useful if you could collect wpa_supplicant debug
> logs with -K added to the command line (-ddKt for the manual test and
> something similar with NM, I'd assume). This -K adds passwords and keys
> into the log so it is not something that is enabled by default, but it
> sounds like this is fine here and it will include the details that would
> be needed to check what exactly are the differences in the 4-way
> handshake between NM and manual wpa_supplicant configuration cases.

Ok, I've collected a successful trace with wpa_supplicant, and added
it to the bugzilla entry.

I do not know how to get NM to expose the PSK key it is using, though.
 So the NM-generated failing log doesn't have that information, and
unless somebody tells me the magic dbus sequence to enable it, I
likely won't get it...

                LInus