* [xawtv3] Request: Support for FM RDS
@ 2017-02-15 16:07 George Pojar
From: George Pojar @ 2017-02-15 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

FM RDS would be a great feature in radio console application. It would
be nice to see what the name of the song is that is playing (that is,
if the station supports RDS).

* Re: [xawtv3] Request: Support for FM RDS
@ 2017-02-15 16:28 ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2017-02-15 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Pojar; +Cc: linux-media

Hi George,

The big problem is that almost none of the hardware tuners out there
which support FM have support for RDS.  You generally need an extra
chip, and very few devices have it (IIRC, none of the ones that are
supported in Linux have been available in retail for a number of
years).

Don't get me wrong - I would like to see RDS supported as well - but I
couldn't find a single tuner product shipping in retail that supports
it.

In short, it's a hardware limitation, not a problem with the
linux-media driver stack.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: [xawtv3] Request: Support for FM RDS
@ 2017-02-15 17:28   ` Markus Rechberger
From: Markus Rechberger @ 2017-02-15 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Heitmueller; +Cc: George Pojar, linux-media

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller@kernellabs.com> wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> The big problem is that almost none of the hardware tuners out there
> which support FM have support for RDS.  You generally need an extra
> chip, and very few devices have it (IIRC, none of the ones that are
> supported in Linux have been available in retail for a number of
> years).

Sundtek MediaTV Pro has support for RDS and we also manufacture
dedicated radio units from time to time.

Best Regards,
Markus Rechberger