* secure boot w/ Mender bzImage fails validation  #dunfell
@ 2022-04-09 14:38 Ballentine, Casey
From: Ballentine, Casey @ 2022-04-09 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

We have an Intel Elkhart Lake device that we are trying to get Secure Boot (via meta-secure-core/meta-efi-secure-boot SELoader) working on using the Dunfell release. This device uses Mender for updates via USB. We have Secure Boot working successfully on a similar device, but that device does not employ Mender.

On the HDD image, /boot/bzImage and /boot/bzImage.p7b (the detached digital signature) are present, as are the set of GRUB artifacts in /boot/efi/BOOT/EFI. As a side note, we do not use an initramfs.

Grub and grub.cfg validate on boot, but /boot/bzImage does not.

I've read that SELoader can't access anything outside of the /efi partition. If that's correct, how do we work around this issue?

Thanks for any help, and let me know if you need further information.

Best,
Casey

* Re: [yocto] secure boot w/ Mender bzImage fails validation #dunfell
@ 2022-04-09 22:17 ` léo sartre
From: léo sartre @ 2022-04-09 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: casey.ballentine; +Cc: yocto

Hi Casey,

I've recently had to activate secureboot on some uefi target.
I was trying to use meta-secure-core/meta-efi-secure-boot aft first, but
after digging a bit more into meta-intel, I've discovered that the
implementation of meta-intel is cleaner and simpler than in
meta-secure-core.
If you are not interested about using microsoft certificates and the
complicated shim + grub combo and that would plan to provision your own
certificate in the firmware (which was what I wanted), I think meta-intel
is a beter approach.
Meta-intel leverate what they call "comboapp":
https://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-intel/tree/classes/uefi-comboapp.bbclass
It is a bundle of systemd-boot (a minimal uefi osloader implementation from
systemd, previously gummiboot) with the kernel, cmdline and optionally a
initramfs, furthermore it provide some clean and simple class to only sign
an uefi binary:
https://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-intel/tree/classes/uefi-sign.bbclass, if
the uefi kernel stub is enough for your use case (which was my case)
I do not know if you really need to keep grub, but if you can replace it
with systemd boot and this uefi combo app from meta-intel layer (or more
simply only use uefi kernel stub with a bundled initramfs), I think it
could simplify a lot your boot process thus it will be simpler to implement
an OTA solution with Mender.
This is something that I will eventually try to achieve in the near future,
so I will keep you posted about my progress if you are interested.

Hope this will help you.
Léo

Le sam. 9 avr. 2022 à 16:38, Ballentine, Casey via lists.yoctoproject.org
<casey.ballentine=essvote.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> We have an Intel Elkhart Lake device that we are trying to get Secure Boot
> (via meta-secure-core/meta-efi-secure-boot SELoader) working on using the
> Dunfell release. This device uses Mender for updates via USB. We have
> Secure Boot working successfully on a similar device, but that device does
> not employ Mender.
>
> On the HDD image, /boot/bzImage and /boot/bzImage.p7b (the detached
> digital signature) are present, as are the set of GRUB artifacts in
> /boot/efi/BOOT/EFI. As a side note, we do not use an initramfs.
>
> Grub and grub.cfg validate on boot, but /boot/bzImage does not.
>
> I've read that SELoader can't access anything outside of the /efi
> partition. If that's correct, how do we work around this issue?
>
> Thanks for any help, and let me know if you need further information.
>
> Best,
> Casey

Léo

* Re: secure boot w/ Mender bzImage fails validation #dunfell
@ 2022-04-21 14:13   ` Ballentine, Casey
From: Ballentine, Casey @ 2022-04-21 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Unfortunately, the uefi-comboapp requires systemd-boot, which Mender doesn't currently support with mender-partuuid which our system requires for software updates over USB. Our devices aren't connected to the internet so OTA updates aren't an option for us. I've started a discussion on Mender.io to see if someone there can help us solve this issue, but in the meantime, any thoughts/suggestions are certainly appreciated!

@ 2022-04-21 15:53     ` léo sartre
From: léo sartre @ 2022-04-21 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ballentine, Casey; +Cc: yocto

Hi Casey,

Please have a look at
https://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-intel/tree/classes/uefi-sign.bbclass,
with this class you can sign a bzimage compiled with the kernel efi stub.

Regards
--
Léo

Le jeu. 21 avr. 2022 à 16:13, Ballentine, Casey via lists.yoctoproject.org
<casey.ballentine=essvote.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> a écrit :

> Unfortunately, the uefi-comboapp requires systemd-boot, which Mender
> doesn't currently support with mender-partuuid which our system requires
> for software updates over USB. Our devices aren't connected to the internet
> so OTA updates aren't an option for us. I've started a discussion on
> Mender.io to see if someone there can help us solve this issue, but in the
> meantime, any thoughts/suggestions are certainly appreciated!
>
> -Casey

Léo

* Re: [yocto] secure boot w/ Mender bzImage fails validation #dunfell
@ 2022-04-21 17:56       ` Gmail
From: Gmail @ 2022-04-21 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: Ballentine, Casey, yocto