* xen-image-minimal testing
@ 2017-05-02  6:33 Pello Heriz
From: Pello Heriz @ 2017-05-02  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-xilinx, meta-xilinx-request, meta-virtualization, yocto

Hi all,

I have built an image using "xen-image-minimal" command with Yocto and I
would want to know how can I test if xen functionalities are correct or not
with Zynq MPSoC QEMU. How can I do this?

Anyway, I have seen that sometimes in the QEMU terminal appears the next
message when the mentioned image is launched by "runqemu zcu102".

INIT: Id "X0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

What's the meaning of the message? Is it critical?

Any answer will be welcome,

Best regards,
Pello

* Re: [meta-xilinx] xen-image-minimal testing
@ 2017-05-02  9:16 ` Jason Wu
From: Jason Wu @ 2017-05-02  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pello Heriz, meta-xilinx, meta-xilinx-request,
	meta-virtualization, yocto

On 2/05/2017 4:33 PM, Pello Heriz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have built an image using "xen-image-minimal" command with Yocto and I
> would want to know how can I test if xen functionalities are correct or
> not with Zynq MPSoC QEMU. How can I do this?
http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Building+the+Xen+Hypervisor+with+PetaLinux+2016.4+and+newer

have look at the "TFTP Booting Xen and Dom0 2016.4" section and hope
that helps.

> Anyway, I have seen that sometimes in the QEMU terminal appears the next
> message when the mentioned image is launched by "runqemu zcu102".
>
> INIT: Id "X0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> What's the meaning of the message? Is it critical?
It is not critical if you don't need it. The reason you are getting this
error message is because the your inittab trying spawn a console when
the device node (e.g. hvc0) for Id "X0" does not exists.

Jason

@ 2017-05-02 16:04     ` Alistair Francis
From: Alistair Francis @ 2017-05-02 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Wu
  Cc: meta-xilinx-request, yocto, meta-virtualization, meta-xilinx,
	Pello Heriz

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 2:16 AM, Jason Wu <jason.wu.misc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/05/2017 4:33 PM, Pello Heriz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have built an image using "xen-image-minimal" command with Yocto and I
>> would want to know how can I test if xen functionalities are correct or
>> not with Zynq MPSoC QEMU. How can I do this?
> http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Building+the+Xen+Hypervisor+with+PetaLinux+2016.4+and+newer
>
> have look at the "TFTP Booting Xen and Dom0 2016.4" section and hope
> that helps.

You can also look at this, it is a little out of date though.
http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Xen+Hypervisor+through+Yocto+Flow

Thanks,

Alistair

From: Alistair Francis @ 2017-05-02 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Wu; +Cc: meta-xilinx-request, yocto, meta-virtualization, meta-xilinx

@ 2017-05-02 16:47   ` Manjukumar Harthikote Matha
From: Manjukumar Harthikote Matha @ 2017-05-02 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Wu, Pello Heriz, meta-xilinx, meta-xilinx-request,
	meta-virtualization, yocto

Is there a way to stop inittab from doing this?
Tried few options for initiab, for ex: using "once" instead of "spawn"

Any other good ideas on how we can disable it? Or what is a better approach to resolve this issue during runtime

Thanks
Manju

@ 2017-05-02 17:23       ` Nathan Rossi
From: Nathan Rossi @ 2017-05-02 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manjukumar Harthikote Matha
  Cc: meta-virtualization, Pello Heriz, yocto, meta-xilinx, Jason Wu,
	meta-xilinx-request

On 3 May 2017 at 02:47, Manjukumar Harthikote Matha
<manjukumar.harthikote-matha@xilinx.com> wrote:

> [...]

Change the sysvinit-inittab bbappend in meta-virtualization use
start_getty instead of just getty, start_getty does a 'test -c' before
starting getty on the device. This is how sysvinit-inittab handles
SERIAL_CONSOLES. Alternatively the meta-virtualization bbappend could
just expand SERIAL_CONSOLES.

Regards,
Nathan

From: Nathan Rossi @ 2017-05-02 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manjukumar Harthikote Matha
  Cc: meta-virtualization, yocto, meta-xilinx, Jason Wu, meta-xilinx-request

On 3 May 2017 at 02:47, Manjukumar Harthikote Matha
<manjukumar.harthikote-matha@xilinx.com> wrote:

  (?)
@ 2017-05-02 18:28       ` Manjukumar Harthikote Matha
From: Manjukumar Harthikote Matha @ 2017-05-02 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Rossi
  Cc: meta-virtualization, Pello Heriz, yocto, meta-xilinx, Jason Wu,
	meta-xilinx-request

Something like this?
https://github.com/Xilinx/meta-virtualization/commit/610887495c01f0b17db6084e1426cc55a3f806ea

We still see initab looking for console even after this change

Thanks
Manju

@ 2017-05-02 19:48         ` Leonardo Sandoval
From: Leonardo Sandoval @ 2017-05-02 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manjukumar Harthikote Matha
  Cc: meta-virtualization, Pello Heriz, yocto, meta-xilinx, Jason Wu,
	meta-xilinx-request

On Tue, 2017-05-02 at 18:28 +0000, Manjukumar Harthikote Matha wrote:

> [...]

another approach, including the following into your local.conf

SERIAL_CONSOLES_CHECK = "${SERIAL_CONSOLES}"

or if you are using qemu, the following poky commit id can be
cherry-picked 86d6b790eb7 which avoids the entry on inittab for ttyS1.

Leo