Le ven. 5 mai 2023, 20:21, Trevor Gamblin a écrit : > > On 2023-05-05 13:37, Alexander Kanavin wrote: > > There is > > http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/How_to_submit_a_patch_to_OpenEmbedded > > and some additional pages linked from it: > > http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Commit_Patch_Message_Guidelines > > http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Styleguide > > > > The wiki is not great, and needs improvements, but the problem is it's > > difficult to write an authoritative and comprehensive answer to the > > questions you ask because there's just so many possible things one > > could check with any change to yocto. If you touch a recipe, you > > should of course check that 'bitbake recipe' still completes without > > an error. But that's obvious, isn't it? Beyond that... it depends. And > > requires a bit of intuition and experience, or advice from someone who > > knows the specific item better. > > > > We generally don't expect people to learn 'the rules' upfront - just > > write some code, and if you're not certain how to test it properly or > > whether it even makes sense, submit the patch as RFC and ask to take a > > look. If it fails in integration testing, you'll hear about it too, > > and that's normal and expected for anything more complex than a typo > > fix. My patches appear 'perfect' only because I pre-test them myself > > on the autobuilder :) > > > > Where we would *greatly* appreciate help is a special bot called > > patchtest that used to check mailing list submissions for common > > problems. That fell into disrepair due to lack of maintenance. Fixing > > that would be fantastic - and people could run it locally too. That > > could act as both a repository of rules-as-code, and a way to check > > them automatically. It could also offer hints for testing, depending > > on what the change touches. All sorts of nice things, if there is a > > person looking after it. > > I'm actually working on getting patchtest running again, and I've > assigned myself as maintainer :) > > To add to what Alex said, a good place for you to start might be looking > at the Newcomer Bugs list: > https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Bug_Triage#Newcomer_Bugs > > Alternatively, watching AUH failures and figuring out broken upgrades, What is AUH? Where I can see broken upgrades you talked about? And more important to me, how can I replicate them to investigate on my side? > or looking on the Bugzilla under terms like "ptest" could also be very > useful, while providing better understanding of how recipes are written > and being somewhat more accessible. > > You can also ask questions in the #yocto channel on the Libera.Chat IRC > server if you need additional help. > > - Trevor > > > > > Alex > > > > On Fri, 5 May 2023 at 19:17, Frederic Martinsons > > wrote: > >> Hello list > >> > >> I'm wondering if there are documentations on how contribution are > managed for the project. > >> > >> I try to find some but didn't manage to. There are easily reachable doc > about how to contribute of course (how to make patches, fixe your identity, > send mail via git... etc) but I didn't find what I usually find on other > open source project (CONTRIBUTING.md file most of the time) like > >> - what are the tests do should I run before submitting (I learnt by > practice about test image or bitbake selftest for example) ? > >> - is there a specific configuration that I should test before > submitting (poky is ok, or should I also test another distro)? > >> - does some commit writing rules exist ? (some projects want commits > to begin with a prefix, usually the software component that is modified by > the patch for example) > >> - what are the coding rules you should follow, if any? (having common > coding rules helps greatly the review of patches, pylint for python code > for example, and I saw there are some bitbake recipes linter from meta-sca > layer) > >> > >> Long story short, I really would like to know what are the different > steps a patch should go through before being merged into master (and as a > side question, what are the steps for a patch to be backported into one of > the LTS branch). > >> > >> I'm deeply sorry if all these questions are obvious to you and have > been already answered somewhere, in that case, please just give me the link. > >> > >> I recently started to contribute to yocto / oe and I think it will help > me to make better contributions if I know more of how it works "under the > hood". > >> > >> Best regards. > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- > >> Links: You receive all messages sent to this group. > >> View/Reply Online (#180962): > https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/message/180962 > >> Mute This Topic: https://lists.openembedded.org/mt/98710419/7611679 > >> Group Owner: openembedded-core+owner@lists.openembedded.org > >> Unsubscribe: https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/unsub [ > tgamblin@baylibre.com] > >> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- > >> >