* projects
@ 2011-08-29 19:08 Sage Weil
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sage Weil @ 2011-08-29 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

I started to make a list of smallish projects that are reasonably easy for
new developers to approach.  The list is at

http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Projects

Any other ideas?

sage

* Re: projects
@ 2011-08-29 23:50 ` Marcus Sorensen
From: Marcus Sorensen @ 2011-08-29 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

I've been thinking about whipping up some perl bindings for librados.
Not sure how useful it would be to others but from a sysadmin
standpoint it would probably be a fairly common management method.
I've spent only a little time on this, have most of the rados_pool
functions working. It would be nice to know if there's already work in
progress or something.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Sage Weil <sage@newdream.net> wrote:
> I started to make a list of smallish projects that are reasonably easy for
> new developers to approach.  The list is at
>
> http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Projects
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> sage

* Re: projects
@ 2011-08-30 13:07 ` Damien Churchill
From: Damien Churchill @ 2011-08-30 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 29 August 2011 20:08, Sage Weil <sage@newdream.net> wrote:
> I started to make a list of smallish projects that are reasonably easy for
> new developers to approach.  The list is at
>
> http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Projects
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> sage

I've been working on some alternative python bindings [0], using
Cython instead of ctypes to wrap the libraries. It's still early days
but they're in a reasonably usable state. When I have the time I'm
going to look at wrapping the C++ headers instead of the C ones. I
started it as there weren't any py bindings for librbd and figured may
as well wrap the others whilst I'm at it. No idea if it'll be useful
for anyone else.

[0] http://github.com/ukplc/pyceph

* Re: projects
@ 2011-08-30 17:04   ` Colin Patrick McCabe
From: Colin Patrick McCabe @ 2011-08-30 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Churchill; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Damien Churchill <damoxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 August 2011 20:08, Sage Weil <sage@newdream.net> wrote:
>> I started to make a list of smallish projects that are reasonably easy for
>> new developers to approach.  The list is at
>>
>> http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Projects
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> sage
>>

> I've been working on some alternative python bindings [0], using
> Cython instead of ctypes to wrap the libraries. It's still early days
> but they're in a reasonably usable state. When I have the time I'm
> going to look at wrapping the C++ headers instead of the C ones. I
> started it as there weren't any py bindings for librbd and figured may
> as well wrap the others whilst I'm at it. No idea if it'll be useful
> for anyone else.
>
> [0] http://github.com/ukplc/pyceph

Cython is an interesting project.

C++ makes a big deal out of being source-compatible with C. But
really, source compatibility with C is not required to have a
well-integrated system with high-level and low-level components. All
you need is the ability to link with C code and interact with it
without the hassle of something like JNI or SWIG.

For example, GCC now allows you to compile half of your project in C
and the other half in Golang. You can't mix the two in the same object
file, but they can interact pretty seamlessly.

There seems to be a trend lately to give dynamic languages a small
amount of static typing, just to give them some much-needed
performance. Javascript recently got typed arrays, and apparently it
was a huge performance boost. However, one thing that is notably
lacking in Cython is any discussion of removing the global interpreter
lock (GIL.) Unless that ever gets tackled, you'll effectively be
limited to the performance of a single core, which is a rapidly
shrinking percentage of the actual system resources. I can see there
are some workarounds in Cython like manually dropping the GIL inside a
certain section.

If you get a chance, you should check out Golang. It allows you to use
something very much like duck typing, but also get the benefits of
static typing. There are no header files, class hierarchies, or
tedious boilerplate.  It also has a great concurrency mechanism that
is better than threads and yes, does use all the cores. :)

cheers,
Colin

* Re: projects
@ 2011-08-30 17:55     ` Damien Churchill
From: Damien Churchill @ 2011-08-30 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Patrick McCabe; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

On 30 August 2011 18:04, Colin Patrick McCabe
<colin.mccabe@dreamhost.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Damien Churchill <damoxc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 29 August 2011 20:08, Sage Weil <sage@newdream.net> wrote:
>>> I started to make a list of smallish projects that are reasonably easy for
>>> new developers to approach.  The list is at
>>>
>>> http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Projects
>>>
>>> Any other ideas?
>>>
>>> sage
>>>

>> I've been working on some alternative python bindings [0], using
>> Cython instead of ctypes to wrap the libraries. It's still early days
>> but they're in a reasonably usable state. When I have the time I'm
>> going to look at wrapping the C++ headers instead of the C ones. I
>> started it as there weren't any py bindings for librbd and figured may
>> as well wrap the others whilst I'm at it. No idea if it'll be useful
>> for anyone else.
>>
>> [0] http://github.com/ukplc/pyceph
>> --
>>

> Cython is an interesting project.
>
> C++ makes a big deal out of being source-compatible with C. But
> really, source compatibility with C is not required to have a
> well-integrated system with high-level and low-level components. All
> you need is the ability to link with C code and interact with it
> without the hassle of something like JNI or SWIG.
>
> For example, GCC now allows you to compile half of your project in C
> and the other half in Golang. You can't mix the two in the same object
> file, but they can interact pretty seamlessly.
>
> There seems to be a trend lately to give dynamic languages a small
> amount of static typing, just to give them some much-needed
> performance. Javascript recently got typed arrays, and apparently it
> was a huge performance boost. However, one thing that is notably
> lacking in Cython is any discussion of removing the global interpreter
> lock (GIL.) Unless that ever gets tackled, you'll effectively be
> limited to the performance of a single core, which is a rapidly
> shrinking percentage of the actual system resources. I can see there
> are some workarounds in Cython like manually dropping the GIL inside a
> certain section.

Yes, you can add "nogil" to method signatures (I have yet to do so)
which will release the GIL when executing that method. You of course
have to not be touching any python stuff whilst running that method
but it means you are able to delve into using multiple cores for C
code. So for something like bindings it works fine as there shouldn't
be too much computation going on in the python side of things.

> If you get a chance, you should check out Golang. It allows you to use
> something very much like duck typing, but also get the benefits of
> static typing. There are no header files, class hierarchies, or
> tedious boilerplate.  It also has a great concurrency mechanism that
> is better than threads and yes, does use all the cores. :)

Already have been experimenting with it, quite enjoying it as well.
The concurrency is a dream indeed :-) Python does have greenlet but
goroutines are far more elegant.

* Re: projects
@ 2011-09-03 22:33 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2011-09-03 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

I've added several more items to the projects wiki page:

	http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Projects

A few worth mentioning:

* Clean java libceph bindings. There are some basic libceph Java bindings
in src/client/hadoopclient that are used by the current hadoop shim. These
should be cleaned up a bit, moved, and packaged properly to provide
generic libceph java bindings (of which the hadoop shim would be just one
user). See http://tracker.newdream.net/issues/814.

* libvirt storage pool. libvirt already has basic support for describing
individual RBD images and launching KVM/qemu with them. It would be great
to add support for a libvirt storage pool that uses librbd to view/manage
all images in a single rados pool. See
http://ceph.newdream.net/gitbuilder-deb-amd64/.

* Wireshark dissector. We wrote a wireshark plugin a while back that
understands the basic ceph on-wire protocol. It also parses some of the
more common message types. It needs to be dusted off and updated, and
ideally even pushed upstream. See http://tracker.newdream.net/issues/131/.

sage

* Re: projects
@ 2011-09-05  2:15   ` Noah Watkins
From: Noah Watkins @ 2011-09-05  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

> * Clean java libceph bindings. There are some basic libceph Java bindings
> in src/client/hadoopclient that are used by the current hadoop shim. These
> should be cleaned up a bit, moved, and packaged properly to provide
> generic libceph java bindings (of which the hadoop shim would be just one
> user). See http://tracker.newdream.net/issues/814.

Are you thinking that these should live in a new tree?

-Noah

* Re: projects
@ 2011-09-07  4:01     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2011-09-07  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noah Watkins; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011, Noah Watkins wrote:
> > * Clean java libceph bindings. There are some basic libceph Java bindings
> > in src/client/hadoopclient that are used by the current hadoop shim. These
> > should be cleaned up a bit, moved, and packaged properly to provide
> > generic libceph java bindings (of which the hadoop shim would be just one
> > user). See http://tracker.newdream.net/issues/814.
>
> Are you thinking that these should live in a new tree?

I suspect it'll be easier if it's all in the main ceph.git.  Right now the
bindings are hidden in src/client/haddop, though...  They should be
first-order components that you can build/install independently from
hadoop.

Not sure how the packaging works for java stuff, but whatever the
convention is that should be done properly as well.

sage

* Projects
@ 2022-03-12 12:31 E Matare
From: E Matare @ 2022-03-12 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello there, I hope this message finds you in good spirits
especially during this challenging period. Firstly, let me
introduce myself. I am Elliot Matare, a private broker with
Metropolitan Asset Manager in South Africa. I am privately
contacting you because one of my high profile clients is
interested in investing abroad and has asked me to look for
individuals and companies with interesting business ideas that he
can invest in. He has an interest in investing a very substantial
amount abroad. I got your email contact through an online
business directory and I thought I'd contact you to see if you
are interested in this opportunity. Do you or your company have
new or existing projects that require funding? If so, kindly get
back to me so that I can give you more details and we can also
plan a strategy that will be beneficial to all parties. Please
also indicate your direct mobile and whatsapp numbers for an
easier communication.

Best Regards,

Elliot.

* Projects
@ 2022-03-07 13:59 E Matare
From: E Matare @ 2022-03-07 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello, I hope this message finds you in good spirits especially

@ 2022-01-25 14:21 D C Johnston
From: D C Johnston @ 2022-01-25 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable

Hello There, I hope this message finds you in good spirits
especially during this challenging period. Anyway, I am D C
Johnston, a private broker formerly with a Fund Management
company in South Africa. I am privately contacting you because
one of my high profile clients is interested in investing abroad
and has asked me to look for individuals and companies with
interesting business ideas that he can invest in. He has an
interest in investing a very substantial amount abroad. I got
your email contact through an online business directory and I
thought I'd contact you to see if you are interested in this
opportunity. Do you or your company have new or existing projects
that require funding?

Please indicate your interest by replying back to this email.
Once I get your response, I will give you more details and we can
plan a strategy that will be beneficial to all parties. Please
also indicate your direct mobile and whatsapp numbers for an
easier communication. Please keep safe and I wish you a great new
year.

Best Regards,

Dean.

* Projects
@ 2022-01-25  0:59 D C Johnston
From: D C Johnston @ 2022-01-25  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

@ 2021-08-21 22:41 Chris Pavlides
From: Chris Pavlides @ 2021-08-21 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello there,

I hope this message finds you in good spirits especially during
this challenging time of coronavirus pandemic. I hope you and
your family are well and keeping safe. Anyway, I am Christos
Pavlides, a broker working with Flippiebecker Wealth. I am
contacting you because one of my high profile clients is
interested in investing abroad and has asked me to look for
individuals and companies with interesting business ideas and
companies that he can invest in. He wants to expand his portfolio
and has an interest in investing a very substantial amount
abroad. I got your email contact through an online business
directory and I thought I'd contact you to see if you are
interested in this opportunity. Do you or your company have new
or existing projects that requires funding?

Please indicate your interest by replying back to this email.
Once I get your response, I will give you more details and we can
plan a strategy that will be beneficial to all parties.

Best Regards,
C Pavlides
Flippiebecker Wealth Services

* Projects
@ 2021-07-12 18:49 J Masuku
From: J Masuku @ 2021-07-12 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello there,

I hope this message finds you in good spirits especially during
this challenging time of coronavirus pandemic. I hope you and
your family are well and keeping safe. Anyway, I am Jotham
Masuku, a wealth manager working with Flippiebecker Wealth in
South Africa. I got your contact through a b2b online business
directory when searching for business minded people in your
country. I am contacting you because one of my high profile
clients is interested in investing abroad and has asked me to
look for individuals and companies in your country with
productive business ideas and projects that he can invest in. He
wants to invest a substantial amount of asset abroad. I thought I
should contact you to see if you are interested in this
opportunity.

I have decided to keep this proposal very brief for now but I
will be happy to share more information and details upon
receiving a response from you to indicate your interest. I am
looking forward to hearing back from you so that we can plan a
strategy that will be beneficial to all parties. Please be kind
to also provide your direct contact telephone number for a verbal
discussion.

Best regards

J Masuku
Flippiebecker Wealth

* Projects
@ 2021-07-12 18:49 J Masuku

From: J Masuku @ 2021-07-12 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-man

@ 2021-06-30  8:10 Jotham Masuku
From: Jotham Masuku @ 2021-06-30  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello there,

I hope this message finds you in good spirits especially during
this challenging time of coronavirus pandemic. I hope you and
your family are well and keeping safe. Anyway, I am Jotham
Masuku, a broker working with Flippiebecker Wealth. I got your
contact through an online business directory and I thought I
should contact you to see if you are interested in this
opportunity. I am contacting you because one of my high profile
clients is interested in investing abroad and has asked me to
look for individuals and companies in your country with
interesting business ideas and projects that he can invest in. He
wants to invest a substantial amount of asset abroad.

I have decided to keep this brief for now but please kindly
respond back to this email if you are interested in this
opportunity. Once I receive your response, I will give you more
details and we can plan a strategy that will be beneficial to all
parties.

Best regards

J Masuku
Flippiebecker Wealth

* Projects
@ 2021-06-28 10:13 Jotham Masuku

From: Jotham Masuku @ 2021-06-28 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arch

@ 2021-06-28  9:25 Jotham Masuku
From: Jotham Masuku @ 2021-06-28  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable

@ 2021-06-28  9:19 Jotham Masuku
From: Jotham Masuku @ 2021-06-28  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devel

@ 2021-06-28  9:00 Jotham Masuku
From: Jotham Masuku @ 2021-06-28  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

@ 2021-06-09 16:01 Jotham Masuku
From: Jotham Masuku @ 2021-06-09 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hello there,

I hope this message finds you in good spirits especially during
this challenging time of coronavirus pandemic. I hope you and
your family are well and keeping safe. Anyway, I am Jotham
Masuku, a broker working with Flippiebecker Wealth. I got your
contact (along with few other contacts) through an online
business directory and I thought I should contact you to see if
you are interested in this opportunity. I am contacting you
because one of my high profile clients is interested in investing
abroad and has asked me to look for individuals and companies
with interesting business ideas and projects that he can invest

@ 2021-06-09 13:40 Jotham Masuku
From: Jotham Masuku @ 2021-06-09 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keyrings

@ 2021-06-09 13:25 Jotham Masuku
From: Jotham Masuku @ 2021-06-09 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

@ 2021-06-09 12:09 Jotham Masuku

From: Jotham Masuku @ 2021-06-09 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrace

@ 2021-06-03 16:34 Jotham Masuku
From: Jotham Masuku @ 2021-06-03 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devel

@ 2021-05-11  8:37 Chris Pavlides
From: Chris Pavlides @ 2021-05-11  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable

Hello there,

I hope this message finds you in good spirits especially during
this challenging time of coronavirus pandemic. I hope you and
your family are well and keeping safe. Anyway, I am Chris
Pavlides, a broker working with Flippiebecker Wealth. I got your