From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
To: Anna Schumaker <anna.schumaker@netapp.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull NFS Client Updates for 5.17
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:23:06 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 8:01 PM Anna Schumaker
<anna.schumaker@netapp.com> wrote:

> I'm still not seeing this in your tree. Was there something wrong with
> the pull request? What can I do to fix it?

Hmm. It looks like these were all caught in the gmail spam filter, and
while I go look at my spam folder regularly, I don't exactly go
through it with a fine comb. If nothing stands out to me, it all goes
into the great big bit-bucket in the sky.

And the reason gmail considers it spam seems to be that your email is
misconfigured. You have a "from:" field using netapp.com, but you
don't seem to use the proper netapp smtp server, so you don't get the
netapp DKIM signature, resulting in

       dmarc=fail (p=QUARANTINE sp=QUARANTINE dis=QUARANTINE)
header.from=netapp.com

and that's quite the spam-trigger.

In fact, from the headers it looks like you're using gmail to deliver
the email using your schumakeranna@gmail.com gmail account, but then
you have that "From:"  having that "netapp.com" from address. Naughty,
naughty.

Even if gmail receives it, gmail will then notice that the from
address has been faked, and will not deliver it to me.

That whole "send email using another delivery thing than the one you
claim it is from" is how most spam is sent, and it used to work. It
doesn't work any more in a world where people actually check DKIM
information, and netapp.com does have DKIM enabled.

So you have to use the real netapp SMPT server if you send emails that
claim to come from netapp.

You could just use your actual normal gmail.com address - that works
fine, and I'll see the signed tag, and the kernel.org address, and
I'll trust it that way.

             Linus