* Recovering From RAID5 Failure
@ 2020-04-21 16:13 Leland Ball
From: Leland Ball @ 2020-04-21 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hello,

I have an old NAS device (Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d  2.1.48.30125)
which has failed to warn me that things were going awry. The NAS is
now in a state that appears unrecoverable from its limited GUI, and is
asking for overwrite confirmation on all 4 drives (1.8TB WD drives).
This smells of data loss, so I hopped on the box and did some
investigating:

I can "more" to find data on each of two partitions for each of the 4
drives /dev/sd[abcd][12] so the drives are functioning in some
capacity. I believe this is running in a RAID 5 configuration, at
least that's what the settings state.

Here's what I'm working with...
# mdadm --version
mdadm - v2.6.7.2 - 14th November 2008

I believe the array was first created in 2011. Not sure if the disks
have been replaced since then, as this array was given to me by a
friend.

I am unsure of how I should go about fixing this, and which (if any)
drives truly needs replacing. My next step would be to try:
# mdadm /dev/md1 --assemble /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdc2 /dev/sdd2
(and if that didn't work, maybe try the --force command?). Would this
jeopardize data like the --create command can?

I've compiled output from the following commands here:
https://pastebin.com/EmqX3Tyq
# fdisk -l
# cat /etc/fstab
# cat /proc/mdstat
# mdadm -D /dev/md0
# mdadm -D /dev/md1
# mdadm --examine /dev/sd[abcd]1
# mdadm --examine /dev/sd[abcd]2
# cat /etc/lvm/backup/md1_vg
# dmesg
# cat /var/log/messages

I don't know if md0 needs to be fixed first (if it's even
malfunctioning). I have never administered RAID volumes at this level
before. Would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

* Re: Recovering From RAID5 Failure
@ 2020-04-21 16:22 ` Roger Heflin
From: Roger Heflin @ 2020-04-21 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leland Ball; +Cc: Linux RAID

Do a smartctl --all /dev/sdX against each disk and post that.

@ 2020-04-21 16:55   ` Leland Ball
From: Leland Ball @ 2020-04-21 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Heflin; +Cc: Linux RAID

Thanks Roger, I appreciate your help and quick reply!

Two of the disks (sda, sdb) were able to return
    # smartctl --all /dev/sdX
just fine, but sdc and sdd returned very little, so I dug a bit deeper with
    # smartctl -d ata -T permissive --all /dev/sdX

The results are in the pastebin: https://pastebin.com/yWJTPvBa
It looks like only sdd has an error count. I would love to get this up
long enough to recover at least a portion of the data, which isn't
backed up elsewhere.

* Re: Recovering From RAID5 Failure
@ 2020-04-21 23:06     ` antlists
From: antlists @ 2020-04-21 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leland Ball, Roger Heflin; +Cc: Linux RAID

On 21/04/2020 17:55, Leland Ball wrote:
> Thanks Roger, I appreciate your help and quick reply!
>
> Two of the disks (sda, sdb) were able to return
>      # smartctl --all /dev/sdX
> just fine, but sdc and sdd returned very little, so I dug a bit deeper with
>      # smartctl -d ata -T permissive --all /dev/sdX
>
> The results are in the pastebin: https://pastebin.com/yWJTPvBa
> It looks like only sdd has an error count. I would love to get this up
> long enough to recover at least a portion of the data, which isn't
> backed up elsewhere.

PLEASE don't use pastebin and places like that. Just attach them to the
email - they're plain text and aren't that big.

I looked up the model number on google - it's a Caviar Green. While I
don't know that model, the fact it's a Green rings alarm bells. And I
can find no mention of ERC - also a red light.

Can you get the disks out of the NAS and try to assemble the array on an
up-to-date computer? Can you ddrescue sdd? The lack of ERC is very
dangerous with parity raid.

Cheers,
Wol