* Cellular modem support for IMX7 Linux distribution
@ 2016-08-30 11:50 Lantz Johan
From: Lantz Johan @ 2016-08-30 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

I'm looking for any software support for a Cellular modem connected to IMX7 platform using a Linux distribution. Anyone having any knowledge about what is already supported regarding API's and interfaces such as USB, PCIe and UART to connect an external modem with a socket that could be accesses via an application or command line. I guess that UART will be preferred and use of AT commands.

BR,
/Johan

* Re: Cellular modem support for IMX7 Linux distribution
@ 2016-09-12 12:20 ` Gary Bisson
From: Gary Bisson @ 2016-09-12 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lantz Johan; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Johan,

You can have a look at this cellular module:
https://boundarydevices.com/product/mu609/

It works on our Nitrogen7 i.MX7 board:
https://boundarydevices.com/product/nitrogen7/

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Gary

@ 2016-09-12 13:51   ` Wenming Feng
From: Wenming Feng @ 2016-09-12 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Bisson, Lantz Johan; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi forks,

Does somebody known can IMX53 upgrade to kernel 4.x still have gup,vpu and ipu features supported?
Thanks!
Wenming

You can have a look at this cellular module:
https://boundarydevices.com/product/mu609/

It works on our Nitrogen7 i.MX7 board:
https://boundarydevices.com/product/nitrogen7/

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Gary

Hi,

@ 2016-09-14  7:25   ` Lantz Johan
From: Lantz Johan @ 2016-09-14  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Bisson; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your help and sorry for a late response. I was not looking for a solution I was asking about availability in software for Linux. I could not find any software on the provided links.

@ 2016-09-15  7:26     ` Gary Bisson
From: Gary Bisson @ 2016-09-15  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lantz Johan; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Johan,

Well for software support the Huawei website provides many documentation on
how to integrate the different pieces:
http://consumer.huawei.com/en/solutions/m2m-solutions/products/support/application-guides/mu609mini-pcie-en.htm

In our case, I offered this hw combination because the driver is already
present in our kernel tree and the user-space components also available on
our Debian/ubuntu images.

Regards,
Gary

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Lantz Johan <

@ 2016-09-15 15:18       ` Lantz Johan
From: Lantz Johan @ 2016-09-15 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Bisson; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Gary,

Thanks for you information I will take a look.

@ 2016-09-20  9:28 ` Thomas Thorne
From: Thomas Thorne @ 2016-09-20  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lantz Johan, meta-freescale

Hi Johan,

I am looking into something similar for the LS1021 IOT and TWR systems.  If you have found any general Linux tools that might be useful I would be interested to hear about them (possibly by direct email if discussing such things is bit off topic for this email list).

I reached the same conclusion as you; that connecting the device over USB, PCIe and UART to with a socket that could be accesses via an application or command line should be possible.  Most Modems I was looking it used an AT command set.  I am not aware of any widely availed AT command libraries, so if further research does not reveal any I will implement the handful of commands I need in my own application code.

I have got such a modem to work under desktop Linux as a USB device.  This seems build in to the standard Ubuntu desktop.  I can see a series of UARTs and a new Network point.  From there I have mounted the modem onto the USB port of a LS1021-TWR board and got the community build firmware to come up.  I just got back from holiday and cannot recall if I saw the new UARTs and a network device on the target.  Whether I get that working or not my next step will probably be to try getting things working with the modem connected via Mini PCI.

Regards,
Thomas A. F. Thorne<mailto:Thomas.Thorne@Net2Edge.com>  Software Engineer  Net2Edge<http://www.net2edge.com/>

@ 2016-09-20  9:35   ` Lantz Johan
From: Lantz Johan @ 2016-09-20  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Thorne, meta-freescale

Hi Thomas,

Currently we are running USB but will later on go for UART. For USB we have it fully working as you on a desktop with Ubuntu. Now we have focused on the NXP platform and we have it available via USB CDC in Linux. Next step is to make it available in the application layer and we use Yocto.