* My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-07-21 14:01 Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2021-07-21 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

I am just here to inform that I am trying to learn Linux kernel
development. If someone wants to follow me, so that he may also learn
with me.

https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com/2021/07/my-aspiration-go-live.html
https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com/2021/07/the-minimal-c-program.html
https://twitter.com/freeark1

I'll send update on this mail thread.

Please, stay tuned.

Regards,
Amit Kumar

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-07-22  3:14 ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2021-07-22  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernel Newbies

Hi All,
https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com/2021/07/the-minimal-c-program-continued.html

@ 2021-07-22 14:34 ` Jules Irenge
From: Jules Irenge @ 2021-07-22 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar; +Cc: kernelnewbies

I normally learn the kernel on weekends. Reading R. Love  and practicing by
coding what you learn is the best way. Also, trying to submit simple
patches on some free time is a good way , meeting  Greg Kroah and Shuan,
they are fantastic people to learn from.
Kind regards,
Jules

*..*

@ 2021-07-22 14:56   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-07-22 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jules Irenge; +Cc: Amit Kumar, kernelnewbies

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, Jules Irenge wrote:

> I normally learn the kernel on weekends. Reading R. Love and
> practicing by coding what you learn is the best way. Also, trying to
> submit simple patches on some free time is a good way , meeting Greg
> Kroah and Shuan, they are fantastic people to learn from.

  as the tech editor of the r. love kernel book, i can safely say that
there are no really current kernel books out there anymore -- the best
docs are the in-kernel ones.

  also, if you want to get started mucking with the kernel and
submitting patches, consider improving the documentation -- there is a
lot of documentation that is at least a little out of date and could
use all the help it can get, and that's an easy and safe way to get
started getting your name into the kernel git log.

rday

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-07-22 23:24     ` Amit Kumar
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Amit Kumar @ 2021-07-22 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Jules Irenge, Kernel Newbies

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 8:26 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, Jules Irenge wrote:
>
> > I normally learn the kernel on weekends. Reading R. Love and
> > practicing by coding what you learn is the best way. Also, trying to
> > submit simple patches on some free time is a good way , meeting Greg
> > Kroah and Shuan, they are fantastic people to learn from.
Is there any online method to interact with Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman?

>   as the tech editor of the r. love kernel book, i can safely say that
> there are no really current kernel books out there anymore -- the best
> docs are the in-kernel ones.
I started reading documents from the Documentation folder.

>   also, if you want to get started mucking with the kernel and
> submitting patches, consider improving the documentation -- there is a
> lot of documentation that is at least a little out of date and could
> use all the help it can get, and that's an easy and safe way to get
> started getting your name into the kernel git log.

I know well that there is not any book that provides current knowledge
about the Linux kernel.
So, I have decided to make my blog (https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com)
a gateway to the Linux kernel development.

Why were the last kernel book by Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman and et. al. canceled?

@ 2021-07-23  6:43       ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-07-23  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar; +Cc: Jules Irenge, Robert P. J. Day, Kernel Newbies

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 04:54:41AM +0530, Amit Kumar wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 8:26 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, Jules Irenge wrote:
> >
> > > I normally learn the kernel on weekends. Reading R. Love and
> > > practicing by coding what you learn is the best way. Also, trying to
> > > submit simple patches on some free time is a good way , meeting Greg
> > > Kroah and Shuan, they are fantastic people to learn from.
> Is there any online method to interact with Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman?

Send patches for review.

> >   also, if you want to get started mucking with the kernel and
> > submitting patches, consider improving the documentation -- there is a
> > lot of documentation that is at least a little out of date and could
> > use all the help it can get, and that's an easy and safe way to get
> > started getting your name into the kernel git log.
> >
> I know well that there is not any book that provides current knowledge
> about the Linux kernel.
> So, I have decided to make my blog (https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com)
> a gateway to the Linux kernel development.
>
> Why were the last kernel book by Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman and et. al. canceled?

Long story, not involving the authors at all.  A new version is not
going to happen any year soon so don't even worry about it.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-07-23  9:32         ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2021-07-23  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Jules Irenge, Robert P. J. Day, Kernel Newbies

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 12:13 PM Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 04:54:41AM +0530, Amit Kumar wrote:

> > Is there any online method to interact with Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman?
>
> Send patches for review.
I sent my solo patch back in 2017. But this time I am expecting to
send a never-ending stream of patches.

> > >   also, if you want to get started mucking with the kernel and
> > > submitting patches, consider improving the documentation -- there is a
> > > lot of documentation that is at least a little out of date and could
> > > use all the help it can get, and that's an easy and safe way to get
> > > started getting your name into the kernel git log.
> > >
> > I know well that there is not any book that provides current knowledge
> > about the Linux kernel.
> > So, I have decided to make my blog (https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com)
> > a gateway to the Linux kernel development.
> >
> > Why were the last kernel book by Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman and et. al. canceled?
>
> Long story, not involving the authors at all.  A new version is not
> going to happen any year soon so don't even worry about it.

Thanks for your words. I kindly request your mentorship. So that it
will be easy for me to make my blog
(https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com) as

@ 2021-07-23  9:45           ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-07-23  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar; +Cc: Jules Irenge, Robert P. J. Day, Kernel Newbies

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 03:02:53PM +0530, Amit Kumar wrote:
> > > I know well that there is not any book that provides current knowledge
> > > about the Linux kernel.
> > > So, I have decided to make my blog (https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com)
> > > a gateway to the Linux kernel development.
> > >
> > > Why were the last kernel book by Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman and et. al. canceled?
> >
> > Long story, not involving the authors at all.  A new version is not
> > going to happen any year soon so don't even worry about it.
> >
> Thanks for your words. I kindly request your mentorship. So that it
> will be easy for me to make my blog
> (https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com) as
> a gateway to the Linux kernel development.

That is not how any of this works, sorry.  I am already mentoring many
people through the LF mentorship program, feel free to sign up for the
next round of interns through that project if you are interested.

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-07-23 10:41       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-07-23 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar; +Cc: Jules Irenge, Kernel Newbies

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021, Amit Kumar wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 8:26 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, Jules Irenge wrote:
> >
> > > I normally learn the kernel on weekends. Reading R. Love and
> > > practicing by coding what you learn is the best way. Also, trying to
> > > submit simple patches on some free time is a good way , meeting Greg
> > > Kroah and Shuan, they are fantastic people to learn from.
> Is there any online method to interact with Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman?
> >
> >   as the tech editor of the r. love kernel book, i can safely say that
> > there are no really current kernel books out there anymore -- the best
> > docs are the in-kernel ones.
> I started reading documents from the Documentation folder.
> >
> >   also, if you want to get started mucking with the kernel and
> > submitting patches, consider improving the documentation -- there is a
> > lot of documentation that is at least a little out of date and could
> > use all the help it can get, and that's an easy and safe way to get
> > started getting your name into the kernel git log.
> >
> I know well that there is not any book that provides current knowledge
> about the Linux kernel.
> So, I have decided to make my blog (https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com)
> a gateway to the Linux kernel development.
>
> Why were the last kernel book by Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman and et. al. canceled?

  there's not much financial incentive to write kernel books anymore;
the code base changes so relentlessly that any book is pretty much out
of date by the time it hits the shelves, and few authors want to
invest months of their life for that. and what's the point of having a
small number of authors working on a book, when the entire linux
community is co-operating to improve the inline docs, anyway?

rday

p.s. it also occurs that the kernel is so vast that there's no way
you could do justice to it in a single book. there might (i emphasize
*might*) be some value in writing a comprehensive book on some single
kernel subsystem, but even that would be obviated by decent inline
docs.

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-07-23 11:23         ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2021-07-23 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Jules Irenge, Kernel Newbies

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 4:12 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2021, Amit Kumar wrote:

> > Is there any online method to interact with Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman?
> > >
> > >   as the tech editor of the r. love kernel book, i can safely say that
> > > there are no really current kernel books out there anymore -- the best
> > > docs are the in-kernel ones.
> > I started reading documents from the Documentation folder.
> > >
> > >   also, if you want to get started mucking with the kernel and
> > > submitting patches, consider improving the documentation -- there is a
> > > lot of documentation that is at least a little out of date and could
> > > use all the help it can get, and that's an easy and safe way to get
> > > started getting your name into the kernel git log.
> > >
> > I know well that there is not any book that provides current knowledge
> > about the Linux kernel.
> > So, I have decided to make my blog (https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com)
> > a gateway to the Linux kernel development.
> >
> > Why were the last kernel book by Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman and et. al. canceled?
>
>   there's not much financial incentive to write kernel books anymore;
> the code base changes so relentlessly that any book is pretty much out
> of date by the time it hits the shelves, and few authors want to
> invest months of their life for that. and what's the point of having a
> small number of authors working on a book, when the entire linux
> community is co-operating to improve the inline docs, anyway?
>
> rday
>
> p.s. it also occurs that the kernel is so vast that there's no way
> you could do justice to it in a single book. there might (i emphasize
> *might*) be some value in writing a comprehensive book on some single
> kernel subsystem, but even that would be obviated by decent inline
> docs.
OK. Time will tell how much I remain successful in helping out developers to
learn kernel development.

I highly respect your feeling about this situation.

@ 2021-07-23 11:54           ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-07-23 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar; +Cc: Jules Irenge, Kernel Newbies

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021, Amit Kumar wrote:

... lots of stuff snipped ...

> Thanks for your words. I kindly request your mentorship. So that it
> will be easy for me to make my blog
> (https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com) as a gateway to the Linux kernel
> development.

  i dropped gregkh from this response as i don't think he's interested
in any followup, so here's my thoughts.

  i checked out a couple articles at your blog and i'm not trying to
be harsh, but there's very little useful content there. aside from the
numerous spelling mistakes, the articles are extremely superficial
and, in many cases, are imprecise to the point where it's not clear
what you're even trying to say.

  here's an example:

"Kernel is like the kernel of a nut. It is a bit difficult for an
application program to interact with the kernel directly i.e. it will
be a time consuming task to write an application program with the help
of the kernel only."

  i have no idea what that means, or what point you're trying to get
across, and most of the articles there are like that. if you want to
keep writing, that's great, do whatever you enjoy, but you're being
wildly optimistic if you want to describe your blog as a "gateway to
linux kernel development."

  if i were you, i would do less writing, and way more reading. again,
i'm not trying to discourage you, but you really need to set your
expectations appropriately.

rday

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-07-23 14:17             ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2021-07-23 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Jules Irenge, Kernel Newbies

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 5:24 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2021, Amit Kumar wrote:
>
> ... lots of stuff snipped ...
>
> > Thanks for your words. I kindly request your mentorship. So that it
> > will be easy for me to make my blog
> > (https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com) as a gateway to the Linux kernel
> > development.
>
>   i dropped gregkh from this response as i don't think he's interested
> in any followup, so here's my thoughts.
>
>   i checked out a couple articles at your blog and i'm not trying to
> be harsh, but there's very little useful content there. aside from the
> numerous spelling mistakes, the articles are extremely superficial
> and, in many cases, are imprecise to the point where it's not clear
> what you're even trying to say.
>
>   here's an example:
>
> "Kernel is like the kernel of a nut. It is a bit difficult for an
> application program to interact with the kernel directly i.e. it will
> be a time consuming task to write an application program with the help
> of the kernel only."
>
>   i have no idea what that means, or what point you're trying to get
> across, and most of the articles there are like that. if you want to
> keep writing, that's great, do whatever you enjoy, but you're being
> wildly optimistic if you want to describe your blog as a "gateway to
> linux kernel development."
>
>   if i were you, i would do less writing, and way more reading. again,
> i'm not trying to discourage you, but you really need to set your
> expectations appropriately.

Thanks for your time and feedback. You are right.
Except for the last two articles, all other articles were written with
the intention to introduce a layman to digital devices.
I have just resumed blogging. I will surely improve my articles
according to your feedback.
I am enthusiastic about bringing more and more developers to the Linux
community.
I wish your support in the future also.

Regards,
Amit Kumar

@ 2021-07-23 14:37               ` Raghuram Jallipalli
From: Raghuram Jallipalli @ 2021-07-23 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar; +Cc: Jules Irenge, Robert P. J. Day, Kernel Newbies

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 10:18 AM Amit Kumar <free.amit.kumar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 5:24 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 23 Jul 2021, Amit Kumar wrote:
> >
> > ... lots of stuff snipped ...
> >
> > > Thanks for your words. I kindly request your mentorship. So that it
> > > will be easy for me to make my blog
> > > (https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com) as a gateway to the Linux kernel
> > > development.
> >
> >   i dropped gregkh from this response as i don't think he's interested
> > in any followup, so here's my thoughts.
> >
> >   i checked out a couple articles at your blog and i'm not trying to
> > be harsh, but there's very little useful content there. aside from the
> > numerous spelling mistakes, the articles are extremely superficial
> > and, in many cases, are imprecise to the point where it's not clear
> > what you're even trying to say.
> >
> >   here's an example:
> >
> > "Kernel is like the kernel of a nut. It is a bit difficult for an
> > application program to interact with the kernel directly i.e. it will
> > be a time consuming task to write an application program with the help
> > of the kernel only."
> >
> >   i have no idea what that means, or what point you're trying to get
> > across, and most of the articles there are like that. if you want to
> > keep writing, that's great, do whatever you enjoy, but you're being
> > wildly optimistic if you want to describe your blog as a "gateway to
> > linux kernel development."
> >
> >   if i were you, i would do less writing, and way more reading. again,
> > i'm not trying to discourage you, but you really need to set your
> > expectations appropriately.
> >
> Thanks for your time and feedback. You are right.
> Except for the last two articles, all other articles were written with
> the intention to introduce a layman to digital devices.
> I have just resumed blogging. I will surely improve my articles
> according to your feedback.
> I am enthusiastic about bringing more and more developers to the Linux
> community.
> I wish your support in the future also.

Isn't the LDD 3E by Rubini not a good book ? Has it become outdated
with respect to the current kernel version ??

@ 2021-07-23 16:15                 ` Connor Kuehl
From: Connor Kuehl @ 2021-07-23 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghuram Jallipalli, Amit Kumar
  Cc: Jules Irenge, Robert P. J. Day, Kernel Newbies

On 7/23/21 9:37 AM, Raghuram Jallipalli wrote:
> Isn't the LDD 3E by Rubini not a good book ? Has it become outdated
> with respect to the current kernel version ??

In my opinion, it's an excellent book. I'd imagine it's pretty rare for
a book covering the internals of a software project to *not* become
quickly outdated.

However, that's not necessarily a bad thing, so don't write it off just
yet. Depending on your learning style, you might find it beneficial to
follow along anyway and try to reconcile the differences between the
book and the state of today's Linux source code.

Connor

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-07-23 16:23                   ` sri vathsa
From: sri vathsa @ 2021-07-23 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Connor Kuehl
  Cc: Raghuram Jallipalli, Jules Irenge, Robert P. J. Day,
	Kernel Newbies, Amit Kumar

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021, 9:47 PM Connor Kuehl <cipkuehl@gmail.com> wrote:

What about Linux Kernel Development by Robert Love, I have been that
reading book and comparing code in book with current kernel version

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-07-24 19:26     ` Constantine Shulyupin
From: Constantine Shulyupin @ 2021-07-24 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Jules Irenge, kernelnewbies

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 at 17:57, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>   as the tech editor of the r. love kernel book, i can safely say that
> there are no really current kernel books out there anymore -- the best
> docs are the in-kernel ones.
>
>   also, if you want to get started mucking with the kernel and
> submitting patches, consider improving the documentation -- there is a
> lot of documentation that is at least a little out of date and could
> use all the help it can get, and that's an easy and safe way to get
> started getting your name into the kernel git log.

Here is an attempt to write a new https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel
What do you think?

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-07-24 19:38       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-07-24 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Constantine Shulyupin; +Cc: Jules Irenge, kernelnewbies

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021, Constantine Shulyupin wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 at 17:57, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >   as the tech editor of the r. love kernel book, i can safely say that
> > there are no really current kernel books out there anymore -- the best
> > docs are the in-kernel ones.
> >
> >   also, if you want to get started mucking with the kernel and
> > submitting patches, consider improving the documentation -- there is a
> > lot of documentation that is at least a little out of date and could
> > use all the help it can get, and that's an easy and safe way to get
> > started getting your name into the kernel git log.
>
> Here is an attempt to write a new https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel
> What do you think?

no. just ... no. if you want to invest your time in writing docs, work
on the in-kernel docs. and i speak as someone who wrote a lot of docs
and kept them at my own web site for years until i realized that was
counter-productive.

rday

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-07-25  1:00       ` Aruna Hewapathirane
From: Aruna Hewapathirane @ 2021-07-25  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar; +Cc: Jules Irenge, Robert P. J. Day, Kernel Newbies

<snip>

> I know well that there is not any book that provides current knowledge
> about the Linux kernel.

Hello Amit,

If you watch this through to the very end you will not require any books :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9TatW9ino

Good Luck - Aruna

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-08-02 14:31         ` Cindy Sue Causey
From: Cindy Sue Causey @ 2021-08-02 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernel Newbies

On 7/24/21, Aruna Hewapathirane <aruna.hewapathirane@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I know well that there is not any book that provides current knowledge
>> about the Linux kernel.
>>

> Hello Amit,
>
> If you watch this through to the very end you will not require any books
> :-)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9TatW9ino

Chiming in to add that I don't normally click on random proffered URLs
because I've fallen into so many (time wasting) traps over the years..

BUT I did click on this one since it's Youtube..

It's Linux Foundation, y'all, so it's very worth a peek. This is the
description when you get there:

"Tutorial: Building the Simplest Possible Linux System - Rob Landley,
se-instruments.com

This tutorial walks you through building and booting the simplest
possible Linux system, first under QEMU and then on real hardware. We
cover kernel configuration and building, native vs cross compiling,
initramfs creation (and other root filesystem options), installing and
booting, the init process and system bringup, running an app, adding
an example server (sshd), and finally we'll add a native toolchain to
compile "hello world" on the target.

Creative Commons Attribution license (reuse allowed)"

Apparently... if you've ever helped generate 10 million+ views for a
video of something about liquid nitrogen and a swimming pool, you've
already met the author.

Thanks for that share, Aruna. I'll be playing over there after
Gibson's Night of 100 Guitars is done (again), lol!

Cindy :)
--
* runs with birdseed *

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-08-02 17:33           ` Gabriel Moreira
From: Gabriel Moreira @ 2021-08-02 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I'm reading this book

- Linux Kernel Development 3rd (Robert Love)

@ 2021-08-10 13:10           ` Aruna Hewapathirane
From: Aruna Hewapathirane @ 2021-08-10 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cindy Sue Causey; +Cc: Kernel Newbies

Hello Sue and everybody else,

Useful to know :
https://linuxhint.com/linux-kernel-tutorial-beginners/

Very useful to know:
https://github.com/0xAX/linux-insides/blob/master/Booting/linux-bootstrap-1.md

I wish 'I' found this years ago when I first started
https://github.com/0xAX/linux-insides/blob/master/SUMMARY.md

Reference:
https://0xax.gitbooks.io/linux-insides/content/

And if you really, really want the book:
https://static.lwn.net/images/pdf/LDD3/ch01.pdf

Even if you never click any of those links, you really really want to click
the one that says 'very useful to know'
This is the 'diff' ( pun intended ) between theory and 'lived experience'
:-)

And Amit just follow your heart my friend.  If you want to document 'your'
experiences go ahead. Peer review is
important but should not dictate what 'you' include in 'your website' when
it comes to what 'you' want to do as long as
it is not an actual  patch in the kernel then peer review becomes sadly but
out of necessity "zero tolerance" for the greater
good. ( I think.. )

And please read this Amit it will help you see things from a entirely
different perspective an dmind-set:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanenbaum%E2%80%93Torvalds_debate

Peace to ye all - Aruna

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-08-11  9:32             ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2021-08-11  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aruna Hewapathirane; +Cc: Cindy Sue Causey, Kernel Newbies

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 6:41 PM Aruna Hewapathirane
<aruna.hewapathirane@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Sue and everybody else,
>
> Useful to know :
> https://linuxhint.com/linux-kernel-tutorial-beginners/
>
> Very useful to know:
> https://github.com/0xAX/linux-insides/blob/master/Booting/linux-bootstrap-1.md
>
> I wish 'I' found this years ago when I first started
> https://github.com/0xAX/linux-insides/blob/master/SUMMARY.md
>
> Reference:
> https://0xax.gitbooks.io/linux-insides/content/
>
> And if you really, really want the book:
> https://static.lwn.net/images/pdf/LDD3/ch01.pdf
>
> Even if you never click any of those links, you really really want to click the one that says 'very useful to know'
> This is the 'diff' ( pun intended ) between theory and 'lived experience' :-)
>
> And Amit just follow your heart my friend.  If you want to document 'your' experiences go ahead. Peer review is
> important but should not dictate what 'you' include in 'your website' when it comes to what 'you' want to do as long as
> it is not an actual  patch in the kernel then peer review becomes sadly but out of necessity "zero tolerance" for the greater
> good. ( I think.. )
>
> And please read this Amit it will help you see things from a entirely different perspective an dmind-set:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanenbaum%E2%80%93Torvalds_debate

Thank you very much for helping me.

I have got a resource which is about 5.4 LTS kernel.
 I think it will help me understand the latest Linux kernel.
I will make sure to visit your suggestions once I finish that resource.

Regards,
Amit Kumar

@ 2021-08-11  9:41               ` sri vathsa
From: sri vathsa @ 2021-08-11  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar; +Cc: Cindy Sue Causey, Aruna Hewapathirane, Kernel Newbies

Hi Amit,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021, 3:03 PM Amit Kumar <free.amit.kumar@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have got a resource which is about 5.4 LTS kernel.

Can u share that resource here, even I trying to
Understand latest kernel.

Thanks,
Dara Srivathsa

* Re: My effort to learn Linux kernel development
@ 2021-08-11 11:37                 ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2021-08-11 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sri vathsa; +Cc: Cindy Sue Causey, Aruna Hewapathirane, Kernel Newbies

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 3:11 PM sri vathsa <srivathsa729.8@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Amit,
>
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021, 3:03 PM Amit Kumar <free.amit.kumar@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I have got a resource which is about 5.4 LTS kernel.
>

> Can u share that resource here, even I trying to
> Understand latest kernel.

Linux Kernel Programming on perlego.com

Regards,
Amit Kumar

@ 2021-08-13  1:46                   ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2021-08-13  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sri vathsa; +Cc: Cindy Sue Causey, Aruna Hewapathirane, Kernel Newbies

Hi All,
Because the Linux kernel uses GCC extensions, this resource is
important for a Linux kernel learner.
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-c-manual/gnu-c-manual.pdf

Regards,
Amit Kumar