From: Joonsoo Kim <js1304@gmail.com>
To: lkp@lists.01.org
Subject: Re: [lkp-robot] [mm/cma] 2b0f904a5a: fio.read_bw_MBps -16.1% regression
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 15:39:08 +0900	[thread overview]

> On 04/12, Joonsoo Kim wrote:
>>
>>Really thanks for testing!
>>
>>Could you give me /proc/zoneinfo dumped before/after this test
>>for all these three commits?
>
> zoneinfo files for these three commits attached. Sample interval is 10s.

Really thanks for giving the info.

During last week, I studied hard on this problem and found a culprit.
Your report showed that there was some big changes on allocator's numa stat.
It seems that it's caused by classzone_idx.

Assume the following setup that is the same with your machine.
Assume that my patch is applied so there is a movable zone on Node1.

Node0
DMA
DMA32
Normal

Node1
Normal
Movable

classzone_idx of GFP_HIGHUSER_MOVABLE allocation happened on node0
will be 2 and classzone_idx of the same allocation happend on node1 will be 3.
So, different lowmem_reserve is applied to them and it causes bad numa
effects in allocator.

I can't think a perfect solution now but following patch that removes
lowmem_reserve
for ZONE_MOVABLE will remove bad numa effect to your machine setup.

I'm not sure whether performance will be restored or not by this patch, however,
at least, bad numa stat will be disappeared. (I observed in my test!!!)

Could you test it?

https://github.com/JoonsooKim/linux.git cma-fixup-thp-next-20180403

Related commits are:
2f54bc6 mm/page_alloc: workaround for node balance issue during allocation
f11152b mm/thp: don't count ZONE_MOVABLE as the target for freepage reserving
b2adb03 Revert "Revert "mm/cma: manage the memory of the CMA area by
using the ZONE_MOVABLE""
76148e2 Revert "Revert "mm/page_alloc: don't reserve ZONE_HIGHMEM for
ZONE_MOVABLE request""

Base commit is '76148e2' and this regression happens on 'b2adb03'.
Fix is commit 'f11152b' and '2f54bc6'.

Please also give me vmstat and zoneinfo. (before/after the test)

There is another regression report from mainline related to this patch since
this patch is merged to mainline.

http://lkml.kernel.org/r/<20180418010753.GA20825@yexl-desktop>
[lkp-robot] [mm/cma] a57a290bd3: vm-scalability.throughput -15.5% regression

If above fixes works, could you test above regression on the mainline
kernel with
'2f54bc6 mm/page_alloc: workaround for node balance issue during allocation'?
commit 'f11152b mm/thp: don't count ZONE_MOVABLE as the target for
freepage reserving'
is already merged into mainline so only commit 2f54bc6 will be needed.

Thanks.