* Building python3 without readline fails for Kirkstone
@ 2022-03-14 13:39 Peter Kjellerstedt
From: Peter Kjellerstedt @ 2022-03-14 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OE Core (openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

We have readline support disabled for python3 for target. It works
fine for Hardknott and Honister, but fails for Kirkstone with the
following error:

  The necessary bits to build these optional modules were not found:
  _curses               _curses_panel

The problem can be recreated by adding the following to local.conf:

PACKAGECONFIG:remove:pn-python3:class-target = "readline"

and then building python3.

Any help to solve the problem would be appreciated.

//Peter

* Re: [OE-core] Building python3 without readline fails for Kirkstone
@ 2022-03-14 13:45 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2022-03-14 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Kjellerstedt, OE Core (openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

On Mon, 2022-03-14 at 13:39 +0000, Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:
> We have readline support disabled for python3 for target. It works
> fine for Hardknott and Honister, but fails for Kirkstone with the
> following error:
>
>   The necessary bits to build these optional modules were not found:
>   _curses               _curses_panel
>
> The problem can be recreated by adding the following to local.conf:
>
> PACKAGECONFIG:remove:pn-python3:class-target = "readline"
>
> and then building python3.
>
> Any help to solve the problem would be appreciated.

I'd have thought that those modules being missing was probably expected if you
disable readline?

Cheers,

Richard

* RE: [OE-core] Building python3 without readline fails for Kirkstone
@ 2022-03-14 15:31   ` Peter Kjellerstedt
From: Peter Kjellerstedt @ 2022-03-14 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Mon, 2022-03-14 at 13:39 +0000, Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:
> > We have readline support disabled for python3 for target. It works
> > fine for Hardknott and Honister, but fails for Kirkstone with the
> > following error:
> >
> >   The necessary bits to build these optional modules were not found:
> >   _curses               _curses_panel
> >
> > The problem can be recreated by adding the following to local.conf:
> >
> > PACKAGECONFIG:remove:pn-python3:class-target = "readline"
> >
> > and then building python3.
> >
> > Any help to solve the problem would be appreciated.
>
> I'd have thought that those modules being missing was probably expected if
> you disable readline?

AFAICT, both curses and curses_panel are built for Hardknott and
Honister even if readline is removed from PACKAGECONFIG.

@ 2022-03-14 16:01 ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2022-03-14 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Kjellerstedt, Alexander Kanavin
  Cc: OE Core (openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 at 13:39, Peter Kjellerstedt
<peter.kjellerstedt@axis.com> wrote:

> We have readline support disabled for python3 for target. It works
> fine for Hardknott and Honister, but fails for Kirkstone with the
> following error:
>
>   The necessary bits to build these optional modules were not found:
>   _curses               _curses_panel
>
> The problem can be recreated by adding the following to local.conf:
>
> PACKAGECONFIG:remove:pn-python3:class-target = "readline"
>
> and then building python3.

The sanity check code has support for modules which have been disabled
(see MODDISABLED_NAMES in
meta/recipes-devtools/python/python3/0017-setup.py-do-not-report-missing-dependencies-for-disa.patch)
but that variable doesn't appear to be connected to the PACKAGECONFIG
settings.

Adding AlexK to the CC list as he wrote this in the first place.

Ross

* Re: [OE-core] Building python3 without readline fails for Kirkstone
@ 2022-03-14 16:20   ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2022-03-14 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Burton
  Cc: Peter Kjellerstedt, OE Core (openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 at 17:02, Ross Burton <ross@burtonini.com> wrote:
> The sanity check code has support for modules which have been disabled
> (see MODDISABLED_NAMES in
> meta/recipes-devtools/python/python3/0017-setup.py-do-not-report-missing-dependencies-for-disa.patch)
> but that variable doesn't appear to be connected to the PACKAGECONFIG
> settings.
>
> Adding AlexK to the CC list as he wrote this in the first place.

python is configured with autotools, so perhaps comparing the logs
with and without readline would be a good first step, specifically the
bifurcation point where ncurses is disabled.

Alex