If a user mode driver is changed to rely on the existence of implicit sync, it results in corruption and flickering as reported here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/2950 Marek On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 6:05 PM Marek Olšák wrote: > Hi Christian, > > Bas and Michel wanted to discuss this. The main disadvantage of no > implicit (pipeline) sync within the same queue is that we get lower > performance and lower GPU utilization in some cases. > > We actually never really needed the kernel to have implicit sync, because > all user mode drivers contained hacks to work without it. > > Marek >