On Sat, Oct 9, 2021, 9:34 AM Matthew Wilcox wrote: > On Sat, Oct 09, 2021 at 12:19:03AM +0000, Hyeonggon Yoo wrote: > > - Is there a reason that SLUB does not implement cache coloring? > > it will help utilizing hardware cache. Especially in block layer, > > they are literally *squeezing* its performance now. > > Have you tried turning off cache colouring in SLAB and seeing if > performance changes? My impression is that it's useful for caches > with low associativity (direct mapped / 2-way / 4-way), but loses > its effectiveness for caches with higher associativity. For example, > my laptop: > > L1 Data Cache: 48KB, 12-way associative, 64 byte line size > L1 Instruction Cache: 32KB, 8-way associative, 64 byte line size > L2 Unified Cache: 1280KB, 20-way associative, 64 byte line size > L3 Unified Cache: 12288KB, 12-way associative, 64 byte line size > > I very much doubt that cache colouring is still useful for this machine. > And what was result on that benchmark? How many cores on your processor? And is it NUMA or UMA? As I mentioned, color scheme is shared between cpus in same node. I think we need to measure performqnce again after per-cpu coloring.