From: Ranjith Krishnan <pkranjithpk@gmail.com>
To: xen-devel@lists.xen.org
Subject: Xenstore daemon is not running after boot; although can be started manually later. Any pointers why ?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:01:21 -0500	[thread overview]

Hello,

I build and installed Xen (4.1.3)  from source, and I think I have got it
working. Well, almost.
I am using unmodified kernel of Fedora16 as my dom0 kernel.

So this is what happened.

I am able to boot into Xen, but the  "xl info" failed with the standard
error message mentioned in the tutorial.
"libxl: error: libxl.c:56:libxl_ctx_init Is xenstore daemon running?
failed to stat /var/run/xenstored.pid:
No such file or directory cannot init xl context"

I checked the xen common problems page,
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems.html and did some
troubleshooting.

I was infact running Xen dom0, since I got this output.

# ls /proc/xen/capabilities  privcmd  xenbus  xsd_kva  xsd_port# cat
/proc/xen/capabilitiescontrol_d

But my evtchn and gntdev were not loaded. Hence below command returned
nothing.

I ran commands "modprobe xen-evtchn" and "modprobe gntdev" to manually load
those drivers.
Then went to /etc/init.d to manually restart xencommons and got this.
# ./xencommons restart"
Stopping xenconsoled
WARNING: Not stopping xenstored, as it cannot be restarted.
Starting xenstored...
Setting domain 0 name...
Starting xenconsoled...

Now "xl info" gave the right output.

So do I need to do this everytime I boot ? Why does it not work right off
the boot automatically ?
Comments please ?

Thanks,
Ranjith