I have been asked to include disktype information for the drive: $ sudo disktype /dev/sda --- /dev/sda Block device, size 1.365 TiB (1500301910016 bytes) DOS/MBR partition map Partition 1: 3.725 GiB (3999268864 bytes, 7811072 sectors from 2048, bootable) Type 0x83 (Linux) Ext2 file system UUID 728591A9-DDBF-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX (DCE, v4) Volume size 3.725 GiB (3999268864 bytes, 976384 blocks of 4 KiB) Linux LVM2 volume, version 001 LABELONE label at sector 1 PV UUID ajtoix-aTPi-6RoJ-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXX Volume size 1.365 TiB (1500300443648 bytes) Partition 2: 1.361 TiB (1496300127232 bytes, 2922461186 sectors from 7815166) Type 0x8E (Linux LVM) Linux LVM2 volume, version 001 LABELONE label at sector 3 LABELONE data inconsistent, aborting analysis Praying that this threads with my original e-mail. Thanks again. On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM, meLon wrote: > > After noticing warnings saying "Incorrect metadata area header checksum" > when using pv/lv commands I looked into what could be causing the issue and > attempted to fix the issue. I had a HDD with an ext2 /boot partition and > an LVM containing an encrypted volume. I ran sfdisk to change the second > partition's filesystem code to 8e and rebooted. > > After rebooting, I was shown an error when I would normally type in my > encrypted volume's passphrase. I cannot remember the exact error, but I > was unable to recover. I pulled the HDD and installed Linux onto another > HDD. > > I put the old HDD containing data I would like to recover in another > machine and tried to see what I could do. pvscan and lvscan would show a > pv, but would report the Incorrect metadata area header checksum warning. > I tried to mount my /boot partition, but it said something along the lines > of "Unknown filesystem type LVM.....". However, if I used *-t ext2*, the > /boot partition would mount without a problem. I ran fsck.ext4 (big > mistake) on the /boot partition which destroyed all of the data on that > partition. The destruction of /boot is not important to me, but the steps > I took to do it may give some insight on my LVM issue. > > At this point, I believe that I accidentally told sfdisk that my /boot was > an LVM partition which was why I was unable to boot into my os. > > > Now I have the HDD set up and when running pvdisplay I see the HDD, but > it does not show a VG name and reports it as a "new physical volume". > Because it's not assigned to a VG, it does not get placed in /dev/mapper, > which means I cannot run cryptsetup to unlock the drive. > > Any recovery/backup information that I see being used by other people to > rectify similar situations resided on the drive I am having problems with, > which makes it impossible for me to use such data for recovery. > > I am hoping there is a way to assign this PV to a VG without destroying > any data on the disk so that I can decrypt it and export the data from the > drive. > > I am currently dd'ing the drive to another drive so that any suggestions I > get from this mailing list can be executed without taking me further from > retrieving my data. > > I appreciate you taking the time to read this email and thank you for any > input or suggestions you may have. > > > "/dev/sda1" is a new physical volume of "1.36 TiB" > --- NEW Physical volume --- > PV Name /dev/sda1 > VG Name > PV Size 1.36 TiB > Allocatable NO > PE Size 0 > Total PE 0 > Free PE 0 > Allocated PE 0 > PV UUID ajtoix-aTPi-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXX > > > > > -- > - meLon > -- - meLon