From: Rafael Beims <rafael.beims@gmail.com>
To: u-boot@lists.denx.de
Subject: [U-Boot] Status of fsl_elbc_nand driver and 4k page NAND / 4bit ECC
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:28:12 -0300	[thread overview]

Hello,
I work with several MPC83xx boards in our company, and a while ago we were
informed that the NAND chip we used was being discontinued. The only
options for a replacement were the newer 4k page ones. Specifically, we are
using now the Micron 29F8G08ABABA (8 gigabit).

I was sweeping the repositories and this list's archives and I'm with the
impression that these chips are not supported yet. I saw some patches sent
hacking the driver to allow for the use of 4k pages.

Additionally, I'm worried about the use of the 4 bit ECC lib (BCH), as it
seems to me that the fsl_elbc_nand driver is not prepared to use a software
ECC config. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that the driver always uses the 1
bit HW ECC that's present in freescale's controller.

Because of this, I would like to ask for an overall status of these things.
What can I expect to be working? What are the main areas of concern?
If there is no complete implementation yet (as I saw some patches being
rejected / not merged yet), what is currently missing?
What is the area where most work is needed?

I ask all of this because we need these implementations and I'm looking for
the correct starting point for any implementation that I would need to do.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Rafael