Just a quick note that you *can* script config file alterations without having to alter files that may be under source control, that's what auto.conf is for :) On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 7:51 AM Robert P. J. Day wrote: > On Thu, 25 Mar 2021, Mike Looijmans wrote: > > > I for one use a whitelist env vars daily, both hobby and work. > > > > We tend to build for multiple machines, so in general we'd have > > something like this running on the build server: > > > > for machine in mach1 mach2 mach3 mach4 ... mach40 > > do > > MACHINE=$machine bitbake image1 image2 image3 > > done > > > > Being able to pass the MACHINE through the environment is a big win. We > could > > alter a config file in the shell script, but that would change a file > that > > we'd want under version control, and I really don't like it when builds > change > > files under version control. > > > > (The "40" machines is not exaggerated, I'm really involved in projects > that > > build for that many targets) > > > > Come to think of it, MACHINE is the one and only environment we ever > pass to > > bitbake. > > > > For release/test/production/debug/... etcetera I tend to use a different > > image, so you'd see: > > > > MACHINE=mach1 bitbake interesting-image interesting-image-dev > > you and mark are right, i was being a bit too draconian -- being > able to select MACHINE and DISTRO on the bitbake invocation line are > obvious benefits. > > just to refresh my memory, what is it that identifies the env vars > that are by default passed through without any need for extra > whitelisting? is that BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE? i recall that contains > MACHINE and DISTRO already, so that might be all i care about. > > rday > > > > -- Christopher Larson kergoth at gmail dot com Founder - BitBake, OpenEmbedded, OpenZaurus Senior Software Engineer, Mentor Graphics