From: Yehuda Sadeh <yehuda@inktank.com>
To: Florian Haas <florian@hastexo.com>
Cc: "ceph-devel@vger.kernel.org" <ceph-devel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: "Radosgw installation and administration" docs
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 11:54:51 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Florian Haas <florian@hastexo.com> wrote:
> Hi Yehuda,
>
> thanks, that resolved a lot of questions for me. A few follow-up
> comments below:
>

>> We currently use a slightly different rule:
>>
>>   RewriteRule             ^/(.*)
>> /radosgw.fcgi?params=$1&%{QUERY_STRING}
>> [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]
>
> Could you explain what happened to "page"?

Not really. I don't remember, was probably necessary originally and
now it's not. Looking at the code, I think you can also drop the
params=$1 part:

  RewriteRule             ^/(.*) /radosgw.fcgi?%{QUERY_STRING}
[E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]

>>> Also, for each of these, where would the logging output end up?
>>> /var/log/ceph? Apache error log? If so, only if the Apache LogLevel is
>>> more verbose than info? Syslog?
>>

>> The debug log would end up wherever you specified in the 'log file'
>> config option.
>
> ... or syslog, if log file = "" and syslog = true. (iirc)

Yeah. Whichever ceph logging scheme you're using.

>>> 6. Swift API: Keys
>>>
>>> Is it correct to assume that for any Swift client to work, we must set a
>>> Swift key for the user, like so?
>>>
>>> radosgw-admin key create --key-type=swift --uid=<user>
>>>
>>> If so, is the secret_key that that creates for the user:
>>>
>>>  "swift_keys": [
>>>        { "user": "<user>",
>>>          "secret_key": "<longbase64hash>"}]}
>>>

>>> ... the same key that the swift command line client expects to be set
>>> with th -K option?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> OK, but I realized that you apparently have to create a separate key
> when creating a sub-user. Is that correct? Or is there a way for
> sub-users to "inherit" the keys defined for their parent user?
>
>>> 7. Swift API: swift user name
>>>
>>> When we call "swift -U <user>", is that the verbatim user_id that we've
>>> defined with "radosgw-admin user create --uid=<user_id>"? Or do we need
>>> to set a prefix? Or define a separate Swift user ID?
>>>

>> In swift the terminology is a bit different. There is the account and
>> under that there is the user. Since we already have a 'user' (which is
>> actually the swift account), we created a 'subuser'. So a one liner
>> user and swift-subuser creation would be as follows:
>>
>> # radosgw-admin user create --subuser=yehuda:yehuda1
>> --display-name=Yehuda --key-type=swift --access=full
>
> It seems there is some magic involved so that if you do "user create",
> set --subuser=<prefix>:<sub> and don't set --uid, it creates a new
> parent user named <prefix>. Is this meant to be stable? Or is the

The <user>:<subuser> notation is stable.

> supported way of doing things to always first create a user, and then
> use "subuser create" to create the subuser?

Both are supported, but note that the 'user create' command requires a
display-name to be specified, whereas the 'subuser create' doesn't. We
can change that later and only require the display-name if the user
does not exist, but at the moment that's how it works.

>> { "user_id": "yehuda",
>>   "rados_uid": 0,
>>   "display_name": "Yehuda",
>>   "email": "",
>>   "suspended": 0,
>>   "max_buckets": 1000,
>>   "subusers": [
>>         { "id": "yehuda:yehuda1",
>>           "permissions": "full-control"}],
>>   "keys": [],
>>   "swift_keys": [
>>         { "user": "yehuda:yehuda1",
>>           "secret_key": "7TD5f2QrwxkCnhthwowC4d9uEJ4mnX8nGsXjmnW8"}]}
>>

>>> 10. radosgw "OpenStack user" information
>>>
>>> From the radosgw-admin man page:
>>>       --os-user=group:name
>>>              The OpenStack user (only needed for use with OpenStack)
>>>       --os-secret=key
>>>              The OpenStack key
>>
>> Obsolete. That was the old way to configure swift users.
>
> OK. Should this be removed from the man page then?

Yeah, should be updated.

> Silly question: If "auth supported = none", is it still required to run
> the ceph-authtool and ceph-auth commands specified in radosgw(8)?

Not for setting up radosgw.

>>         log file = /var/log/radosgw/radosgw.log
>>         debug rgw = 20
>>         rgw cache enabled = 1
>> ;       rgw swift url = http://skinny
>> ;       rgw swift url prefix = swift
>
> I ran across this option sifting through src/rgw, can you explain what
> the URL prefix is used for?

When authenticating the client, the swift_url and swift_prefix are
concatenated and passed to the client as the storage URL, along with
the token.

Thanks,
Yehuda