* Re: Need help in UST
       [not found] <CAGYvGQTk2ajYcRmDSE0hzd+kB336WyPkEO3J1V80MsEB=D8AAw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-03-20 13:05 ` Jérémie Galarneau
       [not found] ` <CACFGcbZ_v_+nqLSY327YvTNOrJOtASm_+9rZziBLsdLn0dNXvw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2014-03-20 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ningaraj Revoor; +Cc: lttng-dev

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Ningaraj Revoor <ningarajsr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to Linux and i tried using Lttng on my ubuntu box(12.04),
> i have installed lttng-tools on my machine and tried using lttng.
> Kernel tracing works for me but i am not able get UST done. i have created a
> demo app and added instrumentation code for that(using lttng-gen-tp). i
> tried referring lot of online documents(followed all steps) but UST still
> not working for me.
> I am not sure what i am missing, will be helpful if you can provide pointers
> to some document which gives correct steps to follow

Hi!

You can have a look at the examples provided in lttng-ust's tree[1].

Don't hesitate to share your demo application and the commands you
used if you still can't get it to work.

Also, did you install LTTng from source or from your distro's packages?

Regards,
Jérémie

[1] https://bugs.lttng.org/projects/lttng-ust/repository/revisions/master/show/doc/examples

> Thanks,
> Ningaraj

Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com

* Fwd:  Need help in UST
       [not found] ` <CACFGcbZ_v_+nqLSY327YvTNOrJOtASm_+9rZziBLsdLn0dNXvw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-03-20 13:06   ` Lingyu Zhu
From: Lingyu Zhu @ 2014-03-20 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev

Hi, Ningaraj
I'm new to LTTng just like you, in my my experience , lttng-ust man page
and example code (lttng-usr/doc/example/{demo,easy_ust} give full guidance
to write tracepoint and build method.
You can post your instrumentation code and erro message. Let us know what
goes wrong in your code.

Lingyu

@ 2014-03-20 13:21 ` Suchakrapani Datt Sharma
From: Suchakrapani Datt Sharma @ 2014-03-20 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ningaraj Revoor; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi,

Quoting Ningaraj Revoor <ningarajsr@gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to Linux and i tried using Lttng on my ubuntu box(12.04),
> i have installed lttng-tools on my machine and tried using lttng.
> Kernel tracing works for me but i am not able get UST done. i have created
> a demo app and added instrumentation code for that(using lttng-gen-tp). i
> tried referring lot of online documents(followed all steps) but UST still
> not working for me.

What kind of errors are there?

> I am not sure what i am missing, will be helpful if you can provide
> pointers to some document which gives correct steps to follow

I think the lttng-ust manual is quite comprehensive already -
http://lttng.org/files/doc/man-pages/man3/lttng-ust.3.html

You can also have a look at [1] and see how Simon instrumented httpd. There is a
clean and instrumented thttpd version you can get at [2] and observe how
instrumentation was done.

[1]
https://github.com/simark/httpd/commit/2c6d73c47156350233b346e9eaa49ffb07a58e6e
[2] http://step.polymtl.ca/~suchakra/osfy/