From: Drew <drew.kay@gmail.com>
To: "linux-raid@vger.kernel.org" <linux-raid@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Nvidia Raid5 Failure
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 09:42:19 -0700	[thread overview]

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 7:36 AM, Scott D'Vileskis <sdvileskis@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>  I
> would also advise against what is known as 'fake raid' controllers
> like your NVIDIA hardware likely is, (or Promise, highpoint, Intel,
> etc)  because it can be difficult to recover data if you have a
> controller/mobo failure without exact hardware.

Agree on the staying away from fake-RAID. One thing I will point out
for reference tho, is that not *all* Intel RAID is fakeraid. The
onboard RAID built into Intel's ICH family certainly is. However Intel
does make a line of RAID controller daughter cards which are rebadged
LSI RAID controllers and are in fact true H/W RAID. Easiest way to
know is to see if the card supports SAS. If it does, chances are it's
a H/W RAID card.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

"This started out as a hobby and spun horribly out of control."
-Unknown