On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:09 PM Edwin Peer wrote: > > On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 11:49 AM Jason Gunthorpe wrote: > > > I've never seen someone implement a NumVF > 256 by co-opting the bus > > number. > > Usually the VF offset already places the VF routing IDs into a > different bus number range from the PF. That much at least works > today. > > > Can Linux even assign more bus numbers to a port without firmware > > help? Bus numbers are something that requires the root complex to be > > aware of to setup routability. > > I'm not sure, presumably something already infers this for the first > additional bus number based on the SR-IOV config capability? > Yes, this should work. During enumeration, it sees that a device capable of SRIOV needs more than one bus number and will assign the proper primary and secondary bus numbers to the upstream bridge.