From: Joel Stanley <joel@jms.id.au>
To: Mykola Kostenok <c_mykolak@mellanox.com>
Cc: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: Mellanox ipmi daemon discussion
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 14:46:49 +0930	[thread overview]

Hello Mykola,

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:57 AM, Mykola Kostenok
<c_mykolak@mellanox.com> wrote:

> We'd like to add Mellanox ipmi daemon recipe to mellanox msn platform. It's based on openipmi project.
> Code review: https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/5694/.
>
> We added some hooks in openipmi code and also our specific module.
> We use it for SoL, SEL, serial console redirection, console switching between the host and BMC, PET/PEF, LAN related commands, time setting,, and also a lot of OEM commands for LED, FAN control, reset signals, reset causes, BT connection with CPU, etc.

The reuse of existing code is a good achievement. Well done.

How did you find the use of OpenIPMI for your needs?

> It doesn't use DBUS interface.

This is a downside. The use of dbus as an inter-process communication
mechanism is something that defines OpenBMC at the moment.

Could you add dbus IPC to the existing codebase?

> We are planning transition to OpenBMC ipmi demon, after we are done with all kernel related patches. Our plan is to start transition in the following order SoL, SDR, SEL, LAN, LED and so on.

What lead to this decision? What are the up and down sides of the
phosphor ipmi daemon compared to OpenIPMI?

> At his moment we'd like to have functional image, which can be built from OpenBMC with no any patches.
> We also have one customer and it's important for us to have a functional image, which he can build by himself.

Agreed. I've +1'd your patch, and would like to see it merged.

Cheers,

Joel