* Kernel updated to Linux v5.8
@ 2020-08-18  5:43 Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2020-08-18  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

The openbmc kernel has moved to a 5.8 based tree for Aspeed machines.

    linux-aspeed: Move to Linux 5.8

    This updates the OpenBMC kernel tree to a 5.8 base. It has been two
    weeks since the kernel was last updated, making it the quickest bump in
    OpenBMC history.

    There are 93 out of tree kernel patches carried in the OpenBMC tree.

    The defconfigs were updated to fix selection of video device. An
    upstream reorganisation of the V4L kconfig resulted in a large number of
    extra drivers enabled when all we required was VIDEO_ASPEED.

Nuvoton is lagging as no one has merged the commit to bump to 5.7, so
I have not made one for moving to 5.8.

Please base future patches on the dev-5.8 tree.

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: Kernel updated to Linux v5.8
@ 2020-08-18  5:53 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2020-08-18  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 at 05:43, Joel Stanley <joel@jms.id.au> wrote:

> The openbmc kernel has moved to a 5.8 based tree for Aspeed machines.

in order to track regressions with the upstream kernel, I am using
Travis CI to do daily builds of the branches we care about:

https://travis-ci.com/github/shenki/continuous-integration

This will build the dev-5.8, dev-5.4, linux-next and mainline kernel
tree for ast2400, ast2500/ast2600, and multiplatform configurations
for armv5 and armv7. It then boots those kernels on qemu, emulating
palmetto (ast2400), romulus (ast2500) and the ast2600 evb.

A future enhancement would be to put test code in the filesystem to
test for cases more complex than build or boot failures.

None of this uses openbmc userspace at this stage. If someone were to
submit a pull request I would happily review it.

Cheers,

Joel