On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 6:44 PM, Alexandre Courbot wrote: > On 02/03/2014 04:10 AM, Ilia Mirkin wrote: > >> Hi Alexandre, >> >> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Alexandre Courbot >> wrote: >> >>> I guess my email address might surprise some of you, so let me >>> anticipate some >>> questions you might have. :P Yes, this work is endorsed by NVIDIA. >>> Several other >>> NVIDIAns (CC'd), including core GPU experts, have provided significant >>> technical >>> guidance and will continue their involvement. Special thanks go to Terje >>> Bergstrom and Ken Adams for their invaluable GPU expertise, and Thierry >>> Reding >>> (at FOSDEM this weekend) for help with debugging and user-space testing. >>> >>> Let me also stress that although very exciting, this effort is still >>> experimental, so I would like to make sure that nobody makes excessive >>> expectations based on these few patches. The scope of this work is >>> strictly >>> limited to Tegra (although given the similarities desktop GPU support >>> will >>> certainly benefit from it indirectly), and we do not have any plan to >>> work on >>> user-space support. So do not uninstall that proprietary driver just >>> yet. ;) >>> >>> With this being clarified, we are looking forward to getting your >>> feedback and >>> working with you guys to bring and improve Tegra K1 support into >>> Nouveau! :) >>> >> >> I've sent a couple of fairly trivial comments, as you saw, and I >> suspect that others with a better understanding of the guts will have >> more substantial architectural feedback, esp after the weekend/FOSDEM. >> However, since no one's said it already -- welcome to Nouveau! >> > > Thanks! ^_^v > > One beginner question: is it appropriate to send kernel patches to the > nouveau list in addition to dri-devel? The moderation messages I receive > make me think that this list might rather be intended for general > discussion. The moderation was because there are too many CCs: on this thread. A couple of those could probably be dropped. In any case, I've increased the max. Stéphane > > > From the looks of it, you could bring up a full open-source stack with >> your patches (i.e. Xorg + nouveau DDX + mesa) and use PRIME to render >> stuff (assuming the actual display hw has an X ddx). Although I >> suspect that you're going to want to use your own drivers. Still a >> little curious if you've tried the open-source stack and whether it >> worked. [Not sure what the status is of render-node support is in >> mesa, but perhaps it's enough to try running piglit tests, if you >> can't get X going with the display HW.] >> > > We are still testing things at libdrm level, but are eventually interested > in bringing up the existing open-source stack. Our guess (and hope) is that > it will work nicely almost as-is, minus the fact that the display hardware > is not handled by Nouveau and we only support render nodes (I have yet to > look at what the state of render nodes in Mesa is). > > For X, Thierry is IIUC working on the display driver, and at some point > these efforts should join to connect tegradrm and Nouveau using PRIME. We > are not quite there yet, and since we are working with limited resources it > will likely require some time, but the fact we could bring up a (seemingly) > working Nouveau kernel driver with so little code is encouraging. > > Thanks, > Alex. > > > _______________________________________________ > dri-devel mailing list > dri-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW@public.gmane.org > http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/dri-devel >