All of lore.kernel.org
From: Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Cc: Andrey Ryabinin <ryabinin.a.a@gmail.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	syzkaller <syzkaller@googlegroups.com>,
	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@google.com>,
	Eric Biggers <ebiggers3@gmail.com>,
	Kostya Serebryany <kcc@google.com>,
	Alexander Potapenko <glider@google.com>,
	andreyknvl <andreyknvl@google.com>,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@i-love.sakura.ne.jp>,
	David Miller <davem@davemloft.net>,
	Willem de Bruijn <willemb@google.com>,
	Guenter Roeck <groeck@google.com>,
	Stephan Mueller <smueller@chronox.de>
Subject: Re: [RFC] syzbot process
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 11:14:08 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 5:22 AM, Andrey Ryabinin <ryabinin.a.a@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>      instead of
>>      From: syzbot <syzkaller@googlegroups.com>
>>
>>      make it
>>      From: syzbot-{hash} <syzkaller@googlegroups.com>
>
> That is probably good, but people drop the name all the time.
>
> But with a very simple tweak, I think this would be close to perfect:
> put the hash in the original email instead, and use "+" instead of
> "-", because that's the standard email ("latter part doesn't matter").
> Skip the proper name part entirely, since it doesn't really add
> anything.
>
> And then make it show up in the "Cc:" part or "Reported-by:", so it
> would just look something like
>
>     Reported-by: syzkaller+1234abc@googlegroups.com
>
> and you're all done. I think that would be easiest for us to track
> (just one email that we're supposed to put in the commit message
> _anyway_), and I hope/think that all email clients and servers will
> still maintain the original full "syzkaller+xyz" part of the email, so
> it doesn't get lost.
>
> Because the "proper name" part definitely does get lost occasionally.
> I'm not sure why it happens, but it definitely happens quite often.

Hi Linus,

This sound like a plan. I like that we piggy-back on the existing
process so _theoretically_ don't increase burden on developers. Also
may probably help improving general practice of properly crediting
people (which is now at around 50% from our experience). So new emails
now include (and that's also actual email sender):

IMPORTANT: if you fix the bug, please add the following tag to the commit:
Reported-by: syzbot+4396883fa8c4f64e0175@syzkaller.appspotmail.com
It will help syzbot understand when the bug is fixed. See footer for details.
If you forward the report, please keep this part and the footer.

Thanks