* Tutorials/howto to modify exiting tcp/ip app for rdma
@ 2014-11-23 20:41 Vasiliy Tolstov
       [not found] ` <CACaajQv2-TFkmANMNBikryG8CE_xhnOx05Qt9aQC8MXfyeRLSg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2014-11-23 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma

Hello.
I want to study ibverbs,rdma. I have application that use tcp/ip for
transfer data.
I want to add rdma support,avoiding usage IPoIB. So I want to write
app that can find and connect to other nodes via guides.
Does somebody share for me some links or how can I find it?
Thanks

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: v.tolstov-+9FY0jupvH6HXe+LvDLADg@public.gmane.org

* Re: Tutorials/howto to modify exiting tcp/ip app for rdma
       [not found] ` <CACaajQv2-TFkmANMNBikryG8CE_xhnOx05Qt9aQC8MXfyeRLSg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-11-27 11:52   ` Vasiliy Tolstov
       [not found]     ` <CACaajQsxHa48osSvtimGXn+-f3U3ZGUD+9yudrc1onAPdn_8hQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2014-11-27 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasiliy Tolstov; +Cc: linux-rdma

> Hello.
> I want to study ibverbs,rdma. I have application that use tcp/ip for
> transfer data.
> I want to add rdma support,avoiding usage IPoIB. So I want to write
> app that can find and connect to other nodes via guides.
> Does somebody share for me some links or how can I find it?
> Thanks

Anybody can't help?

--

@ 2014-11-27 12:28       ` Rupert Dance
From: Rupert Dance @ 2014-11-27 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Vasiliy Tolstov'; +Cc: 'linux-rdma'

Vasiliy,

Please review the OpenFabrics Alliance site and consider posting this question to the OFA User group.

OFA: https://www.openfabrics.org/index.php
OFS User Portal: https://www.openfabrics.org/index.php/ofs-users.html

Thanks

Rupert

> I want to study ibverbs,rdma. I have application that use tcp/ip for
> transfer data.
> I want to add rdma support,avoiding usage IPoIB. So I want to write
> app that can find and connect to other nodes via guides.
> Does somebody share for me some links or how can I find it?
> Thanks

Anybody can't help?

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-rdma" in the body of a message to majordomo-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

@ 2014-11-27 13:39   ` Sagi Grimberg
       [not found]     ` <5477298A.6060605-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
From: Sagi Grimberg @ 2014-11-27 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasiliy Tolstov; +Cc: linux-rdma

On 11/23/2014 10:41 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> Hello.
> I want to study ibverbs,rdma. I have application that use tcp/ip for
> transfer data.
> I want to add rdma support,avoiding usage IPoIB. So I want to write
> app that can find and connect to other nodes via guides.
> Does somebody share for me some links or how can I find it?
> Thanks

You can keep doing IP address resolution using rdma_cm.

You can see perftest examples in
git://flatbed.openfabrics.org/~grockah/perftest.git
Or,
librdmacm's rping in git://flatbed.openfabrics.org/~shefty/librdmacm.git

Cheers,
Sagi.

@ 2014-11-27 14:39       ` Vasiliy Tolstov
       [not found]         ` <CACaajQs6vP=LJ+H=SC7G4EuwOebsjz9G1vxay=aYiKyo1AwSjg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2014-11-27 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sagi Grimberg; +Cc: linux-rdma

> You can keep doing IP address resolution using rdma_cm.
>
> You can see perftest examples in
> git://flatbed.openfabrics.org/~grockah/perftest.git
> Or,
> librdmacm's rping in git://flatbed.openfabrics.org/~shefty/librdmacm.git

Thanks! But if don't have ipoib connection why i need ip address ?=)

--

@ 2014-11-27 14:40         ` Vasiliy Tolstov
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2014-11-27 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rupert Dance; +Cc: linux-rdma

> Vasiliy,
>
> Please review the OpenFabrics Alliance site and consider posting this question to the OFA User group.
>
> OFA: https://www.openfabrics.org/index.php
> OFS User Portal: https://www.openfabrics.org/index.php/ofs-users.html
>
> Thanks

Thanks, i'm try.

--

@ 2014-11-27 15:20           ` Sagi Grimberg
       [not found]             ` <54774122.1020502-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
From: Sagi Grimberg @ 2014-11-27 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasiliy Tolstov; +Cc: linux-rdma

On 11/27/2014 4:39 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
>> You can keep doing IP address resolution using rdma_cm.
>>
>> You can see perftest examples in
>> git://flatbed.openfabrics.org/~grockah/perftest.git
>> Or,
>> librdmacm's rping in git://flatbed.openfabrics.org/~shefty/librdmacm.git
>

> Thanks! But if don't have ipoib connection why i need ip address ?=)

My understanding was that you want to _add_ support for RDMA to a
working tcp/ip application, the natural thing is using rdma_cm.

If you want to replace IP address resolution you need to start
communicating with the SM.

srptools is a nice example for that:
git://flatbed.openfabrics.org/~bvanassche/srptools.git/.git

Sagi.

@ 2014-11-27 16:58               ` Hal Rosenstock
       [not found]                 ` <5477584A.9050605-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
From: Hal Rosenstock @ 2014-11-27 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sagi Grimberg; +Cc: Vasiliy Tolstov, linux-rdma

On 11/27/2014 10:20 AM, Sagi Grimberg wrote:
> On 11/27/2014 4:39 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
>>> You can keep doing IP address resolution using rdma_cm.
>>>
>>> You can see perftest examples in
>>> git://flatbed.openfabrics.org/~grockah/perftest.git
>>> Or,
>>> librdmacm's rping in git://flatbed.openfabrics.org/~shefty/librdmacm.git
>>

>> Thanks! But if don't have ipoib connection why i need ip address ?=)
>>

> My understanding was that you want to _add_ support for RDMA to a
> working tcp/ip application, the natural thing is using rdma_cm.
>
> If you want to replace IP address resolution you need to start
> communicating with the SM.

rsockets now supports AF_IB address family (assuming kernel does too -
3.11 or beyond) but you need the path record to the destination IB
address (GID) to make the connection so that involves an SA query or the
equivalent...

-- Hal

@ 2014-11-28 16:08                   ` Hal Rosenstock
       [not found]                     ` <54789E12.6000601-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
From: Hal Rosenstock @ 2014-11-28 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sagi Grimberg; +Cc: Vasiliy Tolstov, linux-rdma

On 11/27/2014 11:58 AM, Hal Rosenstock wrote:

>>> Thanks! But if don't have ipoib connection why i need ip address ?=)
>>>

>> My understanding was that you want to _add_ support for RDMA to a
>> working tcp/ip application, the natural thing is using rdma_cm.
>>
>> If you want to replace IP address resolution you need to start
>> communicating with the SM.
>
> rsockets now supports AF_IB address family (assuming kernel does too -
> 3.11 or beyond) but you need the path record to the destination IB
> address (GID) to make the connection so that involves an SA query or the
> equivalent...

Also, you need librdmacm 1.0.19-1 or later for this.

rstream is the best example of how to use AF_IB.

-- Hal

@ 2014-11-28 22:42                       ` Vasiliy Tolstov
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2014-11-28 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hal Rosenstock; +Cc: Sagi Grimberg, linux-rdma

> Also, you need librdmacm 1.0.19-1 or later for this.
>
> rstream is the best example of how to use AF_IB.

THanks! As i understand i need kernel for example 3.14... =) and
librdmacm 1.0.19 or later and use rsockets to replace tcp/ip.
How about resolving? Sorry i'm try to take all pieces =).
For example i see that rdma_getaddrinfo can resolve address, but as i
see http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/raring/man3/rdma_resolve_addr.3.html
i need ipoib.
In case of pure RDMA network without IP as i understand i need to
check opensm sources?
whether there is somewhere the minimum example how to work with guid
of ports without use ipoib ?