On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:37 PM, Dave Chinner wrote: > On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:17:45AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote: > > On 4/13/16 10:08 AM, Jan Tulak wrote: > > > > ... > > > > > All right​, I will keep the O_TRUNC there. However, should it > > > truncate the file every time, or should we offer a way how to avoid > > > the file truncating? Until now, mkfs behaved differently based on > > > whether -d file was given, or not. Your explanation suggests that we > > > should truncate every time, right? > > > > There are probably valid reasons to keep size as well as to truncate; > > it's not immediately clear to me how we should handle it. > > That's easy: don't specify -dfile or -dsize, and instead let mkfs > detect that it is file automatically. Because it's not given a size, > or that it's supposed to be a file, it should not attempt to change > the "device" in any way. > > When block devices grow fallocate support, we can unify the discard > behaviour to be a hole punch, and then it will work identically on > devices and files treated this way. > > > Honestly, at this point, in the interest of getting the other fixes in, > > I think I might rather see the truncating behavior unchanged from what > > we have today; we can tackle that as a separate problem at a later date. > > Yup, don't change it in this patch series. > > Looking on this patch again, I think that it can be removed entirely. After reverting the O_CREATE part, the only thing it does is differentiating error messages between files and block devices, which is not worth of a patch. Cheers, Jan -- Jan Tulak jtulak@redhat.com / jan@tulak.me