From: "Rafał Miłecki" <zajec5@gmail.com>
To: Manuel Lauss <manuel.lauss@gmail.com>
Cc: "Paul Wassi" <p.wassi@gmx.at>,
	"linux-mips@linux-mips.org" <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>,
	"Ralf Baechle" <ralf@linux-mips.org>,
	"David Daney" <ddaney.cavm@gmail.com>,
	"David Daney" <david.daney@cavium.com>,
	"Michael Büsch" <m@bues.ch>, "Hauke Mehrtens" <hauke@hauke-m.de>,
	"Larry Finger" <larry.finger@lwfinger.net>,
	"Felix Fietkau" <nbd@nbd.name>, "John Crispin" <john@phrozen.org>
Subject: Re: BCM4704 stopped booting with 4.4 (due to vmlinux size?)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 14:24:37 +0200	[thread overview]

On 16 June 2016 at 14:19, Manuel Lauss <manuel.lauss@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 1:42 PM,  <p.wassi@gmx.at> wrote:
>>> On the other hand Paul also experiences some problems with his Linksys
>>> WRT54GL (BCM5352E), the last stable kernel for him seems to be 3.18.
>>
>> I have to calrify that a bit:
>> if I use prebuilt images from OpenWrt 15.05.1, they work out of the box (as you say, it's 3.18)
>> If I take prebuilt images from (LEDE|OpenWrt) trunk (which was 4.1 then), they do not boot.
>> However, if I clone the repo (which was used to build said trunk) and build it myself,
>> the images work fine. (kernel 4.1) [1]
>
> Differences in toolchain perhaps? What versions of gcc, binutils do
> you and LEDE/OpenWrt use?

When building LEDE, it first compiles toolchain and compiler and then
it uses them to compile all the software. It doesn't use host-provided
toolchain/gcc. So it shouldn't matter on what machine you build your
image (buildbot or locally). Right now LEDE's master uses gcc 5.3.0
and musl 1.1.14.

--
Rafał