* Students projects: looking for small and medium project ideas
@ 2019-01-14 17:53 Matthieu Moy
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2019-01-14 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I haven't been active for a while on this list, but for those who don't
know me, I'm a CS teacher and I'm regularly offering my students to
contribute to open-source projects as part of their school projects. A
few nice features like "git rebase -i --exec" or many of the hints in
"git status" were implemented as part of these projects.

I'm starting another instance of such project next week.

Part of the work of students is to choose which feature they want to
work on, but I try to prepare this for them. I'm keeping a list of ideas
here:

  https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SmallProjectsIdeas

(At some point, I should probably migrate this to git.github.io, since
the wiki only seems half-alive these days).

I'm looking for small to medium size projects (typically, a GSoC project
is far too big in comparison, but we may expect more than just
microprojects).

You may suggest ideas by editting the wiki page, or just by replying to
this email (I'll point my students to the thread). Don't hesitate to
remove entries (or ask me to do so) on the wiki page if you think they
are not relevant anymore.

Thanks in advance,

--
Matthieu Moy
https://matthieu-moy.fr/

* Re: Students projects: looking for small and medium project ideas
@ 2019-01-14 23:04 ` Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason @ 2019-01-14 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthieu Moy; +Cc: git

On Mon, Jan 14 2019, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> I haven't been active for a while on this list, but for those who don't
> know me, I'm a CS teacher and I'm regularly offering my students to
> contribute to open-source projects as part of their school projects. A
> few nice features like "git rebase -i --exec" or many of the hints in
> "git status" were implemented as part of these projects.
>
> I'm starting another instance of such project next week.

Good to hear!

> Part of the work of students is to choose which feature they want to
> work on, but I try to prepare this for them. I'm keeping a list of ideas
> here:
>
>   https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SmallProjectsIdeas
>
> (At some point, I should probably migrate this to git.github.io, since
> the wiki only seems half-alive these days).
>
> I'm looking for small to medium size projects (typically, a GSoC project
> is far too big in comparison, but we may expect more than just
> microprojects).
>
> You may suggest ideas by editting the wiki page, or just by replying to
> this email (I'll point my students to the thread). Don't hesitate to
> remove entries (or ask me to do so) on the wiki page if you think they
> are not relevant anymore.

Some #leftoverbits I've noted on-list before would qualify, some of
these (e.g. grep --only-matching) have been implemented, but others not:

https://public-inbox.org/git/87in9ucsbb.fsf@evledraar.gmail.com/
https://public-inbox.org/git/87bmcyfh67.fsf@evledraar.gmail.com/

* Re: Students projects: looking for small and medium project ideas
@ 2019-01-15 21:32 ` Alban Gruin
From: Alban Gruin @ 2019-01-15 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthieu Moy, git

Hi Matthieu,

Le 14/01/2019 à 18:53, Matthieu Moy a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I haven't been active for a while on this list, but for those who don't
> know me, I'm a CS teacher and I'm regularly offering my students to
> contribute to open-source projects as part of their school projects. A
> few nice features like "git rebase -i --exec" or many of the hints in
> "git status" were implemented as part of these projects.
>
> I'm starting another instance of such project next week.
>
> Part of the work of students is to choose which feature they want to
> work on, but I try to prepare this for them. I'm keeping a list of ideas
> here:
>
>   https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SmallProjectsIdeas
>
> (At some point, I should probably migrate this to git.github.io, since
> the wiki only seems half-alive these days).
>
> I'm looking for small to medium size projects (typically, a GSoC project
> is far too big in comparison, but we may expect more than just
> microprojects).
>
> You may suggest ideas by editting the wiki page, or just by replying to
> this email (I'll point my students to the thread). Don't hesitate to
> remove entries (or ask me to do so) on the wiki page if you think they
> are not relevant anymore.
>
> Thanks in advance,

When rebase.missingCommitsCheck is enabled, git will warn the user if a
commit was dropped with `git rebase -i'.  This check only occurs after
the initial editing.  But the user can edit the todo list with
`--edit-todo'.  Here, git won’t warn the user if a commit was dropped.

The goal is to have `--edit-todo' to warn the user when
rebase.missingCommitsCheck is enabled, too.

Cheers,
Alban

* Re: Students projects: looking for small and medium project ideas
@ 2019-01-22 10:09 ` Duy Nguyen
From: Duy Nguyen @ 2019-01-22 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 12:55 AM Matthieu Moy <git@matthieu-moy.fr> wrote:

> You may suggest ideas by editting the wiki page, or just by replying to
> this email (I'll point my students to the thread). Don't hesitate to
> remove entries (or ask me to do so) on the wiki page if you think they
> are not relevant anymore.

I just mentioned this elsewhere [1] but let me summarize it here
because I think this could be an interesting thing to do and once you
get attr.c code it's not that hard to do. The student would need to
understand about git attributes and how it's implemented in attr.c.
But that's about it. More background below, but the summary line is
"optimize attribute lookup to be proportional with the number of
attributes queried, not the number of attributes present in
.gitattributes files".

So, we normally look up the same set of attributes over a long list of
paths. We do this by building up an "attribute stack" containing all
attribute info collected from all related .gitattributes files.
Whenever we move from one path to the next, we update the stack
slightly (e.g. if the previous path is a/b/c and the current one is
a/d/e, we need to delete attributes from a/b/.gitattributes from the
stack, then add ones from a/d/.gitattributes). Looking up is just a
matter of going through this stack, find attribute lines that match
the given path, then get the attribute value.

This approach will not scale well. Assume that you have a giant
.gitattrbutes file (or spreading over many files) with a zillion
random attributes and two lines about "love" attribute. When you look
up this "love" attribute you may end up going through all those
attribute lines. [2] hints about a better approach in the comment near
cannot_trust_maybe_real. If you know you are looking for "love", when
you build up the attribute stack, just keep "love" and ignore
everything else [3]. This way, the attribute stack that we need to
lookup will have two lines about "love". Lookup time is of course now
much faster. In the best possible case, when you look for an attribute
that is not defined anywhere in .gitattributes files in your repo, you
get an instant "not found" response because the attribute stack is
empty. This edge case was implemented in [4].

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/20190118165800.GA9956@sigill.intra.peff.net/T/#m32fef6a9e8f65dffae41e44a62dd76b4a84fa0fe
[2] 7d42ec547c (attr.c: outline the future plans by heavily commenting
- 2017-01-27)
[3] well, macros make it a bit more complex, but I'll leave that as an exercise.
[4] 06a604e670 (attr: avoid heavy work when we know the specified attr
is not defined - 2014-12-28)
--
Duy

* Re: Students projects: looking for small and medium project ideas
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-02-23 13:28 ` Fabio Aiuto
From: Fabio Aiuto @ 2019-02-23 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthieu Moy, git

Il giorno lun, 14/01/2019 alle 18.53 +0100, Matthieu Moy ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't been active for a while on this list, but for those who
> don't
> know me, I'm a CS teacher and I'm regularly offering my students to
> contribute to open-source projects as part of their school projects.
> few nice features like "git rebase -i --exec" or many of the hints in
> "git status" were implemented as part of these projects.
>
> I'm starting another instance of such project next week.
>
> Part of the work of students is to choose which feature they want to
> work on, but I try to prepare this for them. I'm keeping a list of
> ideas
> here:
>
>   https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SmallProjectsIdeas
>
> (At some point, I should probably migrate this to git.github.io,
> since
> the wiki only seems half-alive these days).
>
> I'm looking for small to medium size projects (typically, a GSoC
> project
> is far too big in comparison, but we may expect more than just
> microprojects).
>
> You may suggest ideas by editting the wiki page, or just by replying
> this email (I'll point my students to the thread). Don't hesitate to
> remove entries (or ask me to do so) on the wiki page if you think
> they
> are not relevant anymore.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Hi Matthieu and to all developers,
I'm Fabio, no more a student and I'm brand new in community
development. I joined the git mailing-list about two weeks ago and I'm
looking for some first fix or tasks. I apologize myself in advance for
my little know of the subject.  Hope to have some useful information to
start workin'.
Thank you in advance
Fabio.

* Re: Students projects: looking for small and medium project ideas
@ 2019-02-26 17:51   ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2019-02-26 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Aiuto; +Cc: Matthieu Moy, git

Fabio Aiuto <polinice83@libero.it> writes:

> Hi Matthieu and to all developers,
> I'm Fabio, no more a student and I'm brand new in community
> development. I joined the git mailing-list about two weeks ago and I'm
> looking for some first fix or tasks. I apologize myself in advance for
> my little know of the subject.  Hope to have some useful information to
> start workin'.

My advice would be to "scratch your own itch", i.e. find something you
dislike about Git, and try to improve that. It's hard to find the
motivation (and time) to contribute in a purely un-interested way, but
once you start getting the benefits of your own patches in the way _you_
use Git, it's really rewarding !

Cheers,

--

@ 2019-02-26 20:14     ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2019-02-26 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthieu Moy; +Cc: Fabio Aiuto, Matthieu Moy, git

Hi,

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> Fabio Aiuto <polinice83@libero.it> writes:
>
> > Hi Matthieu and to all developers,
> > I'm Fabio, no more a student and I'm brand new in community
> > development. I joined the git mailing-list about two weeks ago and I'm
> > looking for some first fix or tasks. I apologize myself in advance for
> > my little know of the subject.  Hope to have some useful information to
> > start workin'.
>
> My advice would be to "scratch your own itch", i.e. find something you
> dislike about Git, and try to improve that. It's hard to find the
> motivation (and time) to contribute in a purely un-interested way, but
> once you start getting the benefits of your own patches in the way _you_
> use Git, it's really rewarding !

There are also occasional bug reports on the Git mailing list, like this
one about `git grep`:
https://public-inbox.org/git/CAGHpTB+fQccqR8SF2_dS3itboKd79238KCFRe4-3PZz6bpr3iQ@mail.gmail.com/T/#u

You can also search the Git mailing list archive for `#leftoverbits`:

https://public-inbox.org/git/?q=%23leftoverbits

(Of course, caveat emptor, some of those #leftoverbits might have been
addressed in the meantime, others might not reproduce for you, yet others
might not be considered bugs or worth fixing...)

Ciao,
Johannes