* Need help mounting broken btrfs Fedora 19
@ 2013-07-14 13:43 Dave Barnum
From: Dave Barnum @ 2013-07-14 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

I need some help as may have lost some number of files on a btrfs raid
1 volume. I'm not quite sure what happend which, I know, only adds to
the problem.

On my computer #1 I had only a month or so ago installed Fedora 19
Beta and at the time of install chose BTRFS, raid 1. Recently one of
the drives started complaining that it was going to die. WIthout
taking it out of the array (perhaps I should have done that) I turned
off the system and swapped the drive with another. From then on I lost
my ability to boot the system. I could not get anything to work with
the new hard drive. Then I put the old hard drive back in so that I
could try to boot again. Still nothing. At one point I think I was
able to see grub - but at this point, I'm not. I just get boot disk
failure.

Further more on the failing drive, drive A, I can still see the
patitions but I cannot mount it on another system. On drive B (the
other half of the mirror) I do not see any partitions. I tried copying
the partition structure using sfdisk from A to B but that probably was
not smart.

I plugged drive A into computer #2 using a live Fedora and Ubuntu CD
to try to mount the volume. However in both distributions I am unable
to mount the volume. I've tried mounting using -o degraded but I still
get the same error. The error I'm seeing when I try to mount the
filesystem goes like this:

Quote:
[10792.307425] device label fedora_ison devid 2 transid 48720 /dev/sdc2
[10792.308202] btrfs: allowing degraded mounts
[10792.308206] btrfs: disk space caching is enabled
[10792.308599] btrfs: failed to read chunk root on sdc2
[10792.308799] btrfs warning page private not zero on page 20979712
[10792.320146] btrfs: open_ctree failed

I believe the superblock may be in tact since when i turn the command
./btrfs-show-super /dev/sdc2 I get:

Quote:
root@ubuntu:/downloads/btrfs-progs# ./btrfs-show-super /dev/sdc2
superblock: bytenr=65536, device=/dev/sdc2
csum 0xfc19c468 [match]
bytenr 65536
flags 0x1
magic _BHRfS_M [match]
fsid cbbf7d4c-f7a0-43ff-aed5-77b347d6ff25
label fedora_ison
generation 48720
root 1105526784
sys_array_size 226
chunk_root_generation 46504
root_level 1
chunk_root 20979712
chunk_root_level 1
log_root 0
log_root_transid 0
log_root_level 0
total_bytes 2988521291776
bytes_used 598216536064
sectorsize 4096
nodesize 4096
leafsize 4096
stripesize 4096
root_dir 6
num_devices 2
compat_flags 0x0
compat_ro_flags 0x0
incompat_flags 0x1
csum_type 0
csum_size 4
cache_generation 48720
dev_item.uuid 5f61edaa-7f12-4ec5-a024-02f7797e1400
dev_item.fsid cbbf7d4c-f7a0-43ff-aed5-77b347d6ff25 [match]
dev_item.type 0
dev_item.total_bytes 1494260645888
dev_item.bytes_used 482110078976
dev_item.io_align 4096
dev_item.io_width 4096
dev_item.sector_size 4096
dev_item.devid 2
dev_item.dev_group 0
dev_item.seek_speed 0
dev_item.bandwidth 0
dev_item.generation 0

Could someone help me troubleshoot why I can't mount my volume? I
would REALLY appreciate it! Perhaps there is a way to repair my broken
tree structure?

Thank You!

* Re: Need help mounting broken btrfs Fedora 19
@ 2013-07-14 13:49 ` Hugo Mills
From: Hugo Mills @ 2013-07-14 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Barnum; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 01:43:41PM +0000, Dave Barnum wrote:
> I need some help as may have lost some number of files on a btrfs raid
> 1 volume. I'm not quite sure what happend which, I know, only adds to
> the problem.
>
> On my computer #1 I had only a month or so ago installed Fedora 19
> Beta and at the time of install chose BTRFS, raid 1. Recently one of
> the drives started complaining that it was going to die. WIthout
> taking it out of the array (perhaps I should have done that) I turned
> off the system and swapped the drive with another. From then on I lost
> my ability to boot the system. I could not get anything to work with
> the new hard drive. Then I put the old hard drive back in so that I
> could try to boot again. Still nothing. At one point I think I was
> able to see grub - but at this point, I'm not. I just get boot disk
> failure.

   Try adding the option "degraded" to your mount options. With grub,
this should be possible to do manually at boot time. That should get
yout the ability to mount the FS with just a single mirror. If that
works, you can then use btrfs dev add to add the new device to the
filesystem, and then a full balance to recreate the mirror.

   Hugo.

> [...]
> compat_flags 0x0
> compat_ro_flags 0x0
> incompat_flags 0x1
> csum_type 0
> csum_size 4
> cache_generation 48720
> dev_item.uuid 5f61edaa-7f12-4ec5-a024-02f7797e1400
> dev_item.fsid cbbf7d4c-f7a0-43ff-aed5-77b347d6ff25 [match]
> dev_item.type 0
> dev_item.total_bytes 1494260645888
> dev_item.bytes_used 482110078976
> dev_item.io_align 4096
> dev_item.io_width 4096
> dev_item.sector_size 4096
> dev_item.devid 2
> dev_item.dev_group 0
> dev_item.seek_speed 0
> dev_item.bandwidth 0
> dev_item.generation 0
>
> Could someone help me troubleshoot why I can't mount my volume? I
> would REALLY appreciate it! Perhaps there is a way to repair my broken

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
          --- ...  one ping(1) to rule them all, and in the ---
                         darkness bind(2) them.

* Re: Need help mounting broken btrfs Fedora 19
@ 2013-07-14 13:53   ` Dave Barnum
From: Dave Barnum @ 2013-07-14 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo Mills, Dave Barnum, linux-btrfs

Thanks for your reply.  I have tried -o degraded and recover but I
keep getting the error messages above in dmesg such as: btrfs: failed
to read chunk root on sdc2

@ 2013-07-14 14:03 ` Wang Shilong
From: Wang Shilong @ 2013-07-14 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Barnum; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Hello,

You call pull from:
	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mason/btrfs-progs.git

Miao implement chunk tree recover function, you can try it with like.
	btrfs  chunk-recover /dev
Maybe this can help you.

Thanks,
Wang