* [ath9k-devel] question about bluetooth coexistence
@ 2012-07-17 14:43 jimy
From: jimy @ 2012-07-17 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

hello,

having a lot of interruptions and packet loss in voip communication if i
use a bluetooth headset and am connected via wireless at the same time i
became interested in bluetooth coexistence on ath9k.

i compiled the kernel (3.4.4) with btcoex and loaded the ath9k module
with btcoex_enable=1 (which normally should't be necessary) but i can
not see any improvement in voip communication which leads me to the
assumption that i missed something important.

i've read here
(http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/Bluetooth-coexistence#Driver_Bluetooth_coexistence)
that "... Bluetooth coexistence is typically tested with bundled 802.11
and Bluetooth devices.". does this mean that btcoex probably only works
with bundled devices at the moment?

i use a AR9285 chipset and a separate broadcom bt-270 (idVendor=0b05,
idProduct=1788).

please can someone give me a hint what i'm probably missing?

thx
jimy

* [ath9k-devel] question about bluetooth coexistence
@ 2012-07-18 15:19 ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2012-07-18 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi Jimy,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:13 PM, jimy <jimy@gis.de> wrote:
> hello,
>

> having a lot of interruptions and packet loss in voip communication if i
> use a bluetooth headset and am connected via wireless at the same time i
> became interested in bluetooth coexistence on ath9k.

you got to enable btcoex in ath9k for both wiifi and ath9k to coexist.

> i compiled the kernel (3.4.4) with btcoex and loaded the ath9k module
> with btcoex_enable=1 (which normally should't be necessary) but i can
> not see any improvement in voip communication which leads me to the
> assumption that i missed something important.

well i assume that you had enabled CONFIG_ATH9K_BTCOEX_SUPPORT

> i've read here
> (http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/Bluetooth-coexistence#Driver_Bluetooth_coexistence)
> that "... Bluetooth coexistence is typically tested with bundled 802.11
> and Bluetooth devices.". does this mean that btcoex probably only works
> with bundled devices at the moment?
>
> i use a AR9285 chipset and a separate broadcom bt-270 (idVendor=0b05,
> idProduct=1788).

oh you got to use AR9285 chip that has combo (WIFI + BT) , so that BTCOEX
works in ath9k. i don't know if we could do something AR9285 chip and
BT-270 working
together. ath9k cannot do anything in that case.

recently QCA launched AR9462 which is a wifi + BT combo and ath9k has
support for it
http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/networking/brand.php?brand=4&product=112

> please can someone give me a hint what i'm probably missing?
>

> thx
> jimy

thanks,
shafi