* Making use of more Gitlab features for xf86-video-amdgpu
@ 2018-09-19 16:46 Michel Dänzer
       [not found] ` <117378cb-d2fa-3d88-8422-3d77b6cf7782-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Michel Dänzer @ 2018-09-19 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

With the 18.1.0 release out the door, I want to start making use of more
Gitlab features for xf86-video-amdgpu development.

I've already enabled merge requests (MRs) at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-amdgpu . From now
on, patches should primarily be submitted and reviewed as MRs. I don't
know yet if it'll be possible for this mailing list to get notifications
of new MRs; you may want to enable notifications on the page above.

I'll also look into setting up a CI pipeline which compiles the driver
against all or at least multiple supported versions of xserver.

A lot of this is new territory for me, I'll figure it out as I go along.
Please bear with me. Once the new stuff has proven to work well for
xf86-video-amdgpu, I want to start using it for -ati as well.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or give feedback on this.

* Re: Making use of more Gitlab features for xf86-video-amdgpu
       [not found] ` <117378cb-d2fa-3d88-8422-3d77b6cf7782-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-09-21  7:13   ` Michel Dänzer
       [not found]     ` <bc07517c-5b73-b899-64b1-d987b627e928-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Michel Dänzer @ 2018-09-21  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 2018-09-19 6:46 p.m., Michel Dänzer wrote:

> With the 18.1.0 release out the door, I want to start making use of more
> Gitlab features for xf86-video-amdgpu development.
>
> I've already enabled merge requests (MRs) at
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-amdgpu . From now
> on, patches should primarily be submitted and reviewed as MRs. I don't
> know yet if it'll be possible for this mailing list to get notifications
> of new MRs; you may want to enable notifications on the page above.

FWIW,
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-amdgpu/merge_requests
now has some actual content. :)

@ 2018-09-21  7:22       ` Zhou, David(ChunMing)
       [not found]         ` <BY1PR12MB05024D93C1BC57E13BC03368B4120-PicGAnIBOobrCwm+z9iKNgdYzm3356FpvxpqHgZTriW3zl9H0oFU5g@public.gmane.org>
From: Zhou, David(ChunMing) @ 2018-09-21  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Dänzer, amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

After moving patch submitted and reviewed as MRs, mail list will be no useful? And many people could miss new patches, right?

Regards,
David Zhou

@ 2018-09-21  7:42           ` Michel Dänzer
       [not found]             ` <43e8c93a-251a-fb23-4fa0-9b213c2745bb-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Michel Dänzer @ 2018-09-21  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhou, David(ChunMing); +Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 2018-09-21 9:22 a.m., Zhou, David(ChunMing) wrote:
> After moving patch submitted and reviewed as MRs, mail list will be
> no useful? And many people could miss new patches, right?

If you want to be notified of merge requests, enable notifications for
them at https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-amdgpu
using the button with the bell symbol at the top right. (This will only
work if you're logged into your Gitlab account)

@ 2018-09-21  7:57               ` Christian König
       [not found]                 ` <d2f1050d-dbbf-78bd-600b-7a8e3c7f1530-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Christian König @ 2018-09-21  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Dänzer, Zhou, David(ChunMing)
  Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Am 21.09.2018 um 09:42 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
> On 2018-09-21 9:22 a.m., Zhou, David(ChunMing) wrote:
>> After moving patch submitted and reviewed as MRs, mail list will be
>> no useful? And many people could miss new patches, right?
> If you want to be notified of merge requests, enable notifications for
> them at https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-amdgpu
> using the button with the bell symbol at the top right. (This will only
> work if you're logged into your Gitlab account)

Yeah, but is the mailing list notified about merge requests and
especially about possible discussions on merge requests?

For xf86-video-amdgpu development that wouldn't be much of an issue, but
for other projects that could turn out in quite a show stopper.

Christian.

@ 2018-09-21  9:49                   ` Michel Dänzer
       [not found]                     ` <8814faa4-ac34-e73a-93b5-21f338183c0c-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Michel Dänzer @ 2018-09-21  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christian.koenig-5C7GfCeVMHo, Zhou, David(ChunMing)
  Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 2018-09-21 9:57 a.m., Christian König wrote:
> Am 21.09.2018 um 09:42 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
>> On 2018-09-21 9:22 a.m., Zhou, David(ChunMing) wrote:
>>> After moving patch submitted and reviewed as MRs, mail list will be
>>> no useful? And many people could miss new patches, right?
>> If you want to be notified of merge requests, enable notifications for
>> them at https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-amdgpu
>> using the button with the bell symbol at the top right. (This will only
>> work if you're logged into your Gitlab account)
>
> Yeah, but is the mailing list notified about merge requests and
> especially about possible discussions on merge requests?

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem possible with Gitlab at this time.
Interested users have to enable notifications in their Gitlab accounts.

> For xf86-video-amdgpu development that wouldn't be much of an issue, but
> for other projects that could turn out in quite a show stopper.

Well, this discussion is specifically about xf86-video-amdgpu (and later
-ati). :)

@ 2018-09-21 11:13                       ` Ernst Sjöstrand
       [not found]                         ` <CAD=4a=V16sX4jVhJPB6gE0xw8SuNCXRFHyBZ+A=emrD9v7HB9g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ernst Sjöstrand @ 2018-09-21 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Dänzer

Couldn't you add a "service account" for the mailing list and enable
notifications for it?

@ 2018-09-21 14:53                           ` Michel Dänzer
From: Michel Dänzer @ 2018-09-21 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ernst Sjöstrand

On 2018-09-21 1:13 p.m., Ernst Sjöstrand wrote:
> Couldn't you add a "service account" for the mailing list and enable
> notifications for it?

Thanks for the idea. The people who spearheaded the FreeDesktop GitLab
instance pointed out that unfortunately it's not viable, because each
notification e-mail contains an URL which can be used to disable
notification e-mails for the given MR to the corresponding account,
which works without logging into the account. It looks like this is by
design, e.g. so that it can work in e-mail clients via the
List-Unsubscribe header.