* [OpenRISC] Continue OpenRISC contibution
       [not found] <CADGJwMwapL_eB_ZqKmaDsoFxCY_3qvKu=0BfdSGQZaC5GEjP1Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-08-26 23:41 ` Stafford Horne
From: Stafford Horne @ 2021-08-26 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 10:17:17PM +0530, Harshitha S wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking of continuing my contribution to the OpenRISC project. With my
> GSoC project, I have learned too many new skills and wish to keep this
> learning pace. I would be happy to learn and explore new skills. Please let
> me know what I can work upon.

Hi Harshita,

(CCing list)

Glad to hear you are still interested.  I think there are always plenty of
things, some things on the top of my head:
  - Simple - update the mor1kx/readme.md to explain we support formal
  - Medium - fix the bugs that you raised
  - Bigger - or1k-formal (like riscv-formal, formally verify each instruction)

-Stafford

* [OpenRISC] Continue OpenRISC contibution
@ 2021-08-28 17:17   ` Harshitha S
From: Harshitha S @ 2021-08-28 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hello Stafford,

I want to start with a simple one. I have updated the Mor1kx Formal in the
readme.
Let me know if anything else to be included.
https://github.com/Harshitha172000/mor1kx/commit/e192b83ce01cd4b467ce74fe65b2f3a7ced7a22d

I will try fixing the bugs and also work on or1kx-formal. Meanwhile, I'm
thinking of exploring OpenOCD/GDB
for mor1kx CPU debugging but having no idea where to start. Can you guide
me beginning with CPU debugging?

-Harshitha

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 5:11 AM Stafford Horne <shorne@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 10:17:17PM +0530, Harshitha S wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm thinking of continuing my contribution to the OpenRISC project. With
> my
> > GSoC project, I have learned too many new skills and wish to keep this
> > learning pace. I would be happy to learn and explore new skills. Please
> let
> > me know what I can work upon.
>
> Hi Harshita,
>
> (CCing list)
>
> Glad to hear you are still interested.  I think there are always plenty of
> things, some things on the top of my head:
>   - Simple - update the mor1kx/readme.md to explain we support formal
>   - Medium - fix the bugs that you raised
>   - Bigger - or1k-formal (like riscv-formal, formally verify each
> instruction)
>
> -Stafford

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [OpenRISC] Continue OpenRISC contibution
@ 2021-08-31 13:47     ` Stafford Horne
From: Stafford Horne @ 2021-08-31 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

The commit looks good, can you make a PR for it?

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 2:16 AM Harshitha S

@ 2021-08-31 14:02       ` Harshitha S
From: Harshitha S @ 2021-08-31 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Yes, will do.

@ 2021-08-31 15:30       ` Dan
From: Dan @ 2021-08-31 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Harshita,
I would recommend replacing the "chparam" commands in your SBY files
with "hierarchy" commands.  "chparam" forces the synthesis tool to re-
read the design each time the command is issued, and may lead to
changes that are inconsistent along the way.  "hierarchy" has a "-
chparam" option that can be used to re-read the design once, setting
all of the parameters in the design to a consistent usage.
Dan

@ 2021-08-31 16:53         ` Harshitha S
From: Harshitha S @ 2021-08-31 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hello Dan,

I have used chparam everywhere in the SBY files because an error occurred
while decoding string parameters using pycode.
Here is the small snippet where I found the error.

Code:

--pycode-begin--
cmd  = "hierarchy -top mor1kx"
cmd += " -chparam FEATURE_INSTRUCTIONCACHE %s "  %("ENABLED")
output(cmd)
--pycode-end--

Error:

[image: image.png]

How can I avoid this error? Can I use hierarchy -chparam without using
pycode?

From: Dan @ 2021-08-31 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Harshita,
To debug this error, look at the sby file found in the mor1kx/
directory created by sby.  My guess is that it is missing quotation
marks.
Dan

@ 2021-08-31 17:08           ` Dan
From: Dan @ 2021-08-31 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Looks like I missed a question: Yes, you can use the hierarchy command
without using Python code.  It's just a Yosys command like everything
else in the [script] section of the sby configuration file.

From: Harshitha S @ 2021-08-31 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

I couldn't figure out what's wrong with pycode, but replacing all "chparam
-set" with "hierarchy -chparam" runs without error.

Thanks, Dan, for pointing out this issue. I will correct it.

@ 2021-09-01 13:26     ` Stafford Horne
       [not found]       ` <CADGJwMzCa_u2+V3Tu-pp92GgxubwiU0HQo0Dy5G3b0sAO2xzFw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Stafford Horne @ 2021-09-01 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

In terms of debugging I put this together a while back for how to
setup and use the OpenOCD / GDB debug environment for openrisc.
https://github.com/openrisc/tutorials/blob/master/docs/Debugging.md

This assumes you have an FPGA board like the de0 nano and are able to
program one of the fusesoc mor1kx with adv_debug_sys bitstreams onto
it.  All that can be done via fusesoc which wraps the process.  There
are documents about doing that on the web, also one here:
https://github.com/openrisc/tutorials/tree/master/de0_nano

Do you have an FPGA board you can use?

-Stafford

@ 2021-09-01 21:06         ` Stafford Horne
       [not found]           ` <CADGJwMxxEp4YFTe4271LJHoc4sJo2P6mtNOFhx+w6+phF25xDQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Stafford Horne @ 2021-09-01 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Which model of spartan 7 FPGA board do you have?  Lets figure out if
it has support for a fusesoc soc.

Here is a list of some of the boards supported.
https://github.com/openrisc/orpsoc-cores/tree/master/systems

Some of these have been moved out to independent projects now:
  - https://github.com/olofk/de0_nano
  - https://github.com/stffrdhrn/mor1kx-generic  (just for simulation
not fpga boards)

It is preferred for the systems to be in their own repositories now.

If your board is not here then we can search for fusesoc support, if
nothing is found you can work on bringing up fusesoc on it.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 1:17 AM Harshitha S

@ 2021-09-02 12:02             ` Stafford Horne
From: Stafford Horne @ 2021-09-02 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

(+CC List)

You can start with the atlys as an example you will need to:
  - Convert the core/system file to the new fusesoc CAPI=2 format (yaml)
  - Change the pin mapping to arty (see
https://github.com/openrisc/orpsoc-cores/blob/master/systems/atlys/data/atlys.ucf)
  - Update bits of the verilog soc to match arty s7
  - Find a different DRAM controller that support DDR3 instead of DDR2
 (like litedram)

It may actually be easier to start with something already CAPI=2
de0_nano, or try to find something else like serv
(https://github.com/olofk/serv/blob/main/servant.core)

litedram is a module written in migen/litex/python which gets
generated to verilog, example is here:
 - https://github.com/chipsalliance/Cores-SweRVolf/blob/master/cores/litedram/litedram.core

-Stafford

-Stafford

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 1:07 PM Harshitha S