From: Jay Rolette <rolette@infinite.io>
To: Andriy Berestovskyy <aber@semihalf.com>
Cc: DPDK <dev@dpdk.org>, "Richardson, Bruce" <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Couple of PMD questions
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 07:45:21 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 4:35 AM, Andriy Berestovskyy <aber@semihalf.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Jay Rolette <rolette@infinite.io> wrote:
> > Should the driver error out in that case instead of only "sort of"
> working?
>
> +1, we hit the same issue. Error or log message would help.
>
> > If I support a max frame size of 9216 bytes (exactly a 1K multiple to
> make
> > the NIC happy), then max_rx_pkt_len is going to be 9216 and
> data_room_size
> > will be 9216 + RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM.
>
> Try to set max_rx_pkt_len <= 9K - 8 and mempool element size to 9K +
> headroom + size of structures.

Thanks, Andriy. That makes sense given how the code + NIC are working.

> > Is that check correct?
>
> Datasheet says:
> The MFS does not include the 4 bytes of the VLAN header. Packets with
> VLAN header can be as large as MFS + 4. When double VLAN is enabled,
> the device adds 8 to the MFS for any packets.

Gotcha. Hopefully we can get the docs and example code up to where app
developers don't need to crawl through driver source and NIC datasheets.
That or have rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() take care of that sort of detail
automatically. :-)

Jay

Regards,