From: Noah Massey <noah.massey@gmail.com>
To: menion@gmail.com
Cc: "Austin S. Hemmelgarn" <ahferroin7@gmail.com>,
	Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com>,
	linux-btrfs <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: 14Gb of space lost after distro upgrade on BTFS root partition (long thread with logs)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 14:06:53 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 1:25 PM Menion <menion@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I have removed the snapshot and the free expected space is here, thank you!
> As a side note: apt-btrfs-snapshot was not installed, but it is
> present in Ubuntu repository and I have used it (and I like the idea
> of automatic snapshot during upgrade)
> This means that the do-release-upgrade does it's own job on BTRFS,
> silently which I believe is not good from the usability perspective,

You are correct. DistUpgradeController.py from python3-distupgrade
imports 'apt_btrfs_snapshot', which I read as coming from
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apt_btrfs_snapshot.py, supplied by
apt-btrfs-snapshot, but I missed the fact that python3-distupgrade
ships its own /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/DistUpgrade/apt_btrfs_snapshot.py

So now it looks like that cannot be easily disabled, and without the
apt-btrfs-snapshot package scheduling cleanups it's not ever
automatically removed?