* Hashicorp serf and go-crypto: which layer(s)?
@ 2019-12-11  2:18 Tim Orling
From: Tim Orling @ 2019-12-11  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-virtualization

I have a recipe for Hashicorp serf (latest release 0.8.5) which requires go-crypto. I’m currently planning to add go-crypto to meta-virtualization, but serf makes sense next to consul in meta-cloud-services. Currently, the README of m-c-s says its only layer dependency is oe-core.

What is the consensus? Should I add recipes-devtools/go/go-crypto_git.bb to m-c-s and keep serf next to consul, or should I add recipes-connectivity/serf/hashicorp-serf_0.8.5.bb to meta-virtualizaton and keep go-crypto with the other go source only packages?

Also, devtool picked up all the licenses from vendor/, so I am adding a vendor-licenses.inc file to help keep the serf bb file shorter. Other recipes in meta-virtualization, such as kubernetes, would also have a lot of vendor code…has anybody been concerned about licenses from vendor/ ?

Cheers,

—Tim

* Re: [meta-virtualization] Hashicorp serf and go-crypto: which layer(s)?
@ 2019-12-11  7:20 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2019-12-11  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Orling; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 9:18 PM Tim Orling
<timothy.t.orling@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> I have a recipe for Hashicorp serf (latest release 0.8.5) which requires go-crypto. I’m currently planning to add go-crypto to meta-virtualization, but serf makes sense next to consul in meta-cloud-services. Currently, the README of m-c-s says its only layer dependency is oe-core.

heh. The m-c-s readme is wrong on that point ..

> What is the consensus? Should I add recipes-devtools/go/go-crypto_git.bb to m-c-s and keep serf next to consul, or should I add recipes-connectivity/serf/hashicorp-serf_0.8.5.bb to meta-virtualizaton and keep go-crypto with the other go source only packages?

I'd say the 2nd option is the right one. Add serf along side consul,
and go-crypto into meta-virt (and we can update the README for m-c-s
along the way).

> Also, devtool picked up all the licenses from vendor/, so I am adding a vendor-licenses.inc file to help keep the serf bb file shorter. Other recipes in meta-virtualization, such as kubernetes, would also have a lot of vendor code…has anybody been concerned about licenses from vendor/ ?

We've talked about this in the past, and yes, to be complete we really
need the vendored licenses along with the main package license. So I
think you are talking the right approach.

Bruce

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end

* Re: [meta-virtualization] Hashicorp serf and go-crypto: which layer(s)?
@ 2019-12-11 19:06   ` Tim Orling
From: Tim Orling @ 2019-12-11 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Tim Orling, meta-virtualization