* K3s service not starting after go-lang version update in poky
       [not found] <DBBPR08MB469695119DAF4FC29F66BAC1FDB49@DBBPR08MB4696.eurprd08.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2022-06-27 10:00 ` Kamil Dzieżyk
From: Kamil Dzieżyk @ 2022-06-27 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-virtualization; +Cc: bruce.ashfield, nd

Hello Bruce,

There is a problem with the k3s service starting when the Yocto image is built with the meta-virtualization master branch.

This issue might be related to the go-lang version(1.18) used to build the k3s.
After this patch was merged: https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?id=8dc1f28aa10c775e64b5275679b1f8142e8cd038
a warning pops up during the k3s build:
```
WARNING: k3s-v1.22.6+k3s1+git4262c6b91a43ef8411870f72ff8b8715949f90e2-r0 do_package_qa: QA Issue: k3s: ELF binary /usr/local/bin/k3s has relocations in .text [textrel]
```
See k3s service start logs here: https://pastebin.com/uXvsjPFu
I have tried a more recent version of k3s 1.22.8 with a small change and this version of the k3s starts successfully.
However, I did not manage to update all k3s build dependency sources from the recipes-container/k3s/src_uri.inc.
I have built the k3s with this change: https://pastebin.com/3QGvcqta

Could you update the k3s recipe on the master branch, to build a more recent version 1.23 or 1.24?

Thanks,

Kamil Dzieżyk

* Re: K3s service not starting after go-lang version update in poky
@ 2022-06-27 12:51   ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2022-06-27 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamil Dzieżyk; +Cc: meta-virtualization, nd

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 6:00 AM Kamil Dzieżyk <Kamil.Dziezyk@arm.com> wrote:

> Hello Bruce,
>
> There is a problem with the k3s service starting when the Yocto image is built with the meta-virtualization master branch.
>
> This issue might be related to the go-lang version(1.18) used to build the k3s.
> After this patch was merged: https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?id=8dc1f28aa10c775e64b5275679b1f8142e8cd038
> a warning pops up during the k3s build:
> ```
> WARNING: k3s-v1.22.6+k3s1+git4262c6b91a43ef8411870f72ff8b8715949f90e2-r0 do_package_qa: QA Issue: k3s: ELF binary /usr/local/bin/k3s has relocations in .text [textrel]

That warning has actually been around for a while.

> ```
> See k3s service start logs here: https://pastebin.com/uXvsjPFu
> I have tried a more recent version of k3s 1.22.8 with a small change and this version of the k3s starts successfully.
> However, I did not manage to update all k3s build dependency sources from the recipes-container/k3s/src_uri.inc.
> I have built the k3s with this change: https://pastebin.com/3QGvcqta
>
> Could you update the k3s recipe on the master branch, to build a more recent version 1.23 or 1.24?

I have a 1.24 update already underway. So hopefully things will be
sorted out shortly.

Bruce

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end

* Re: K3s service not starting after go-lang version update in poky
@ 2022-07-27  7:19     ` Diego Sueiro
       [not found]       ` <1705B28225E1CC82.3155@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Diego Sueiro @ 2022-07-27  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-virtualization

Hi Bruce,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 01:51 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 6:00 AM Kamil Dzieżyk <Kamil.Dziezyk@arm.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Bruce,
> >
> > There is a problem with the k3s service starting when the Yocto image is
> built with the meta-virtualization master branch.
> >
> > This issue might be related to the go-lang version(1.18) used to build the
> k3s.
> > After this patch was merged:
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?id=8dc1f28aa10c775e64b5275679b1f8142e8cd038
> > a warning pops up during the k3s build:
> > ```
> > WARNING: k3s-v1.22.6+k3s1+git4262c6b91a43ef8411870f72ff8b8715949f90e2-r0
> do_package_qa: QA Issue: k3s: ELF binary /usr/local/bin/k3s has relocations in
> .text [textrel]
>
> That warning has actually been around for a while.
>
> > ```
> > See k3s service start logs here: https://pastebin.com/uXvsjPFu
> > I have tried a more recent version of k3s 1.22.8 with a small change and
> this version of the k3s starts successfully.
> > However, I did not manage to update all k3s build dependency sources from
> the recipes-container/k3s/src_uri.inc.
> > I have built the k3s with this change: https://pastebin.com/3QGvcqta
> >
> > Could you update the k3s recipe on the master branch, to build a more recent
> version 1.23 or 1.24?
>
> I have a 1.24 update already underway. So hopefully things will be
> sorted out shortly.

Do you have an ETA for this?

--
Diego Sueiro

> Bruce
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kamil Dzieżyk
> >

> --
> - Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
> thee at its end
> - "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II

* Re: [meta-virtualization] K3s service not starting after go-lang version update in poky
@ 2022-07-27 13:24       ` Bruce Ashfield
       [not found]       ` <1705B28225E1CC82.3155@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2022-07-27 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Sueiro; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 3:19 AM Diego Sueiro <diego.sueiro@arm.com> wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 01:51 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>

> > On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 6:00 AM Kamil Dzieżyk <Kamil.Dziezyk@arm.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Bruce,
> > >
> > > There is a problem with the k3s service starting when the Yocto image is
> > built with the meta-virtualization master branch.
> > >
> > > This issue might be related to the go-lang version(1.18) used to build the
> > k3s.
> > > After this patch was merged:
> > https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?id=8dc1f28aa10c775e64b5275679b1f8142e8cd038
> > > a warning pops up during the k3s build:
> > > ```
> > > WARNING: k3s-v1.22.6+k3s1+git4262c6b91a43ef8411870f72ff8b8715949f90e2-r0
> > do_package_qa: QA Issue: k3s: ELF binary /usr/local/bin/k3s has relocations in
> > .text [textrel]
> >
> > That warning has actually been around for a while.
> >
> > > ```
> > > See k3s service start logs here: https://pastebin.com/uXvsjPFu
> > > I have tried a more recent version of k3s 1.22.8 with a small change and
> > this version of the k3s starts successfully.
> > > However, I did not manage to update all k3s build dependency sources from
> > the recipes-container/k3s/src_uri.inc.
> > > I have built the k3s with this change: https://pastebin.com/3QGvcqta
> > >
> > > Could you update the k3s recipe on the master branch, to build a more recent
> > version 1.23 or 1.24?
> >
> > I have a 1.24 update already underway. So hopefully things will be
> > sorted out shortly.
>
> Do you have an ETA for this?

I ran into some really nasty runtime issues, along with build issues,
so I'm now on the 4th micro bump to deal with problems.

There was also a week of squashing buildpath issues in oe-core that
slowed things down.

I have an arbitrary deadline of M3 for these sorts of updates, so that
is the goal and one that is quickly approaching!

Bruce

@ 2022-08-05 22:56         ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2022-08-05 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.ashfield; +Cc: Diego Sueiro, meta-virtualization

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 9:25 AM Bruce Ashfield via
lists.yoctoproject.org
<bruce.ashfield=gmail.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 3:19 AM Diego Sueiro <diego.sueiro@arm.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Bruce,

> > > built with the meta-virtualization master branch.

> > > k3s.
> > > https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?id=8dc1f28aa10c775e64b5275679b1f8142e8cd038
> > > do_package_qa: QA Issue: k3s: ELF binary /usr/local/bin/k3s has relocations in
> > > .text [textrel]
> > >
> > > That warning has actually been around for a while.

> > > this version of the k3s starts successfully.
> > > the recipes-container/k3s/src_uri.inc.

> > > version 1.23 or 1.24?
> > >
> > > I have a 1.24 update already underway. So hopefully things will be
> > > sorted out shortly.
> >
> > Do you have an ETA for this?
>
> I ran into some really nasty runtime issues, along with build issues,
> so I'm now on the 4th micro bump to deal with problems.
>
> There was also a week of squashing buildpath issues in oe-core that
> slowed things down.
>
> I have an arbitrary deadline of M3 for these sorts of updates, so that
> is the goal and one that is quickly approaching!

FYI: I finally managed to figure out the build issues, and have pushed
an initial bump to v1.24.x to master-next.

I spent nearly a day thinking it was our build, or the dependencies
that were the issue .. and as it turns out, even in a native / non-OE,
vendored or not-vendored build .. you get the same Sandbox build error
that I was debugging. I've changed the tags to avoid the ctrd internal
build and we at least get a binary.

This should also have the golang -> github substitutions that were
suggested for the previous version, I'll do a closer check later on
that.

I still have more runtime testing to do, but the fact that there's a
building jumping off point, I wanted to at least get it to master-next
and let folks know.

Bruce

@ 2022-08-08  9:18           ` Diego Sueiro
From: Diego Sueiro @ 2022-08-08  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: meta-virtualization, Richard Neill

Hi Bruce,

________________________________
On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 9:25 AM Bruce Ashfield via
lists.yoctoproject.org
<bruce.ashfield=gmail.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 3:19 AM Diego Sueiro <diego.sueiro@arm.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Bruce,

> > > built with the meta-virtualization master branch.

> > > k3s.
> > > https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?id=8dc1f28aa10c775e64b5275679b1f8142e8cd038
> > > do_package_qa: QA Issue: k3s: ELF binary /usr/local/bin/k3s has relocations in
> > > .text [textrel]
> > >
> > > That warning has actually been around for a while.

> > > this version of the k3s starts successfully.
> > > the recipes-container/k3s/src_uri.inc.

> > > version 1.23 or 1.24?
> > >
> > > I have a 1.24 update already underway. So hopefully things will be
> > > sorted out shortly.
> >
> > Do you have an ETA for this?
>
> I ran into some really nasty runtime issues, along with build issues,
> so I'm now on the 4th micro bump to deal with problems.
>
> There was also a week of squashing buildpath issues in oe-core that
> slowed things down.
>
> I have an arbitrary deadline of M3 for these sorts of updates, so that
> is the goal and one that is quickly approaching!

FYI: I finally managed to figure out the build issues, and have pushed
an initial bump to v1.24.x to master-next.

I have done some tests and I can confirm that we are not seeing the runtime issues
reported by Kamil anymore.

Thanks for working on it.

--
Diego Sueiro