From: "Bruce Ashfield" <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com>
To: Christopher Clark <christopher.w.clark@gmail.com>
Cc: Ashishx88 <ashish.emailaddress@gmail.com>,
	 meta-virtualization@lists.yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [meta-virtualization] [raspberry-pi4-xen-series] : Console login failure for xen-image-minimal
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 22:42:16 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:00 PM Christopher Clark
<christopher.w.clark@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 6:56 AM Christopher Clark via
> lists.yoctoproject.org
> <christopher.w.clark=gmail.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 12:12 AM Ashishx88 <ashish.emailaddress@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Christopher ,
> > >
> > > - I have created an xen-image-minimal using the commit & repo mentioned
> > >    https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/meta-virtualization/message/5464
> > >    I am able to compile both core-image-minimal & xen-image-minimal .
> > >
> > > - When the board boots with the compiled image , i am observing below mentioned issue
> > >    Can you provide any inputs or if same issue has been observed with other members :
> > >
> > >    1) At the login prompt , root credentials fails continuously for few time.
> > >        raspberrypi4-64 login: root
> > >        Password: root
> > >        ( I can assure you that there is no typo error )
> > >
> > >    2) After few attempt , i get the  root prompt root@raspberrypi4-64:~#
> > >        After the prompt within few seconds i get Login timed out after 60 seconds.
> > >        and behaviour starts again from point-1 mentioned above.
> > >        -> Attached along is the minicom log for your reference.
> > >
> > >    3) Similar login problem i have seen with core-image-minimal
> > >        Local.conf :
> > >                           DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " xen virtualization"
> > >                           MACHINE = "raspberrypi4-64"
> > >
> > > Hence can you please let me know if similar observation is being reported.
> > > and any pointers to look for the issue .
> >
> > This looks like an unhappy serial device.
> > Please could you confirm: if you connect a local USB keyboard and HDMI
> > display, you do not have a similar problem logging in or using the
> > prompt?
>
> This turns out to be a simpler problem to fix than a device issue:
> there are apparently two getty's running on the serial console device
> (hvc0) and you only want one. If you're using the xen-image-minimal
> image, the immediate workaround is to log in and edit the file
> /etc/inittab to comment out or remove the last line beginning 'X0',
> save it, and poweroff the device. When you start the device up again,
> your serial console command prompt should now work correctly. It's
> probably a similar fix for a core-image-minimal image (- I just don't
> have one immediately to hand to check it).

We've had quite a few hvc0 patches over the years .. we end up
fixing/breaking sysvinit/systemd and someone's use case everytime we
tweak it.

Checking the git history should let us know what to avoid :D

Bruce

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end