In fact it seems that no ofonod is needed to get old Huawei 3131 up and running. Connman just notices it as wired service after plugging in.

-Matti

I tried without option drivers. Ofono logs looked very similar to those of the old Huawei 3131. Main exception was that old uses interface eth1 and new wwan0. The main difference, however,  is that there is no traffic with the new modem.

Modem management commands do not work if option driver is not loaded (for example online-modem). On the other hand this seems the case with the old modem, too. Connmanctl services command lists old modem as Wired service and new is not listed at all if these option drivers are not present.

-Matti

Note that driver listed is not kernel drive, like with new 3131 but most likely ofono driver - at least it is not listed with lsmod.

Now I was not careful enough. Modem was created exactly as before - check_usb_device() reported kernel module and create_modem() reported huawei.