* Regression in 2.24.1 wrt progress indication
@ 2019-12-13 17:28 Charles Diza
From: Charles Diza @ 2019-12-13 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I reported a bug in progress display in git 2.23.0 earlier this year in August.  This bug got fixed: https://public-inbox.org/git/20191002154734.GC6116@sigill.intra.peff.net/

(See the earlier parts of that thread for the bug report.)

I am sorry to report that this bug has returned in 2.24.1.

Charles

* Re: Regression in 2.24.1 wrt progress indication
@ 2019-12-13 17:38 ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2019-12-13 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Diza; +Cc: git

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 12:28:35PM -0500, Charles Diza wrote:

> I reported a bug in progress display in git 2.23.0 earlier this year
> in August.  This bug got fixed:
> https://public-inbox.org/git/20191002154734.GC6116@sigill.intra.peff.net/
>
> (See the earlier parts of that thread for the bug report.)
>
> I am sorry to report that this bug has returned in 2.24.1.

The bug in question typically showed due to the server side of the
connection. Do you see it during a fetch (or pull) or push? If so, what
server are you using? Is it possible that that server upgraded recently,
and it has nothing to do with what version you're running on the client?

-Peff

* Re: Regression in 2.24.1 wrt progress indication
@ 2019-12-13 22:21   ` Charles Diza
From: Charles Diza @ 2019-12-13 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 12:38:58PM -0500, Jeff King wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 12:28:35PM -0500, Charles Diza wrote:
>
> > I reported a bug in progress display in git 2.23.0 earlier this year
> > in August.  This bug got fixed:
> > https://public-inbox.org/git/20191002154734.GC6116@sigill.intra.peff.net/
> >
> > (See the earlier parts of that thread for the bug report.)
> >
> > I am sorry to report that this bug has returned in 2.24.1.
>
> The bug in question typically showed due to the server side of the
> connection. Do you see it during a fetch (or pull) or push? If so, what
> server are you using? Is it possible that that server upgraded recently,
> and it has nothing to do with what version you're running on the client?

It happens during pull.  I've seen this when pulling from gitlab.
Reverting to 2.24.0 fixes the problem.

-Charles

@ 2019-12-13 22:35     ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2019-12-13 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Diza; +Cc: git

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 05:21:56PM -0500, Charles Diza wrote:

> > The bug in question typically showed due to the server side of the
> > connection. Do you see it during a fetch (or pull) or push? If so, what
> > server are you using? Is it possible that that server upgraded recently,
> > and it has nothing to do with what version you're running on the client?
>
> It happens during pull.  I've seen this when pulling from gitlab.
> Reverting to 2.24.0 fixes the problem.

gitlab.com is running v2.22.2, which has the bug. And I see it whether
my client is v2.24.0 or v2.24.1. Are you sure it comes and goes between
client versions?

Note that it is impacted by your terminal width, as well (it only shows
up if your terminal is lower than some width; 80 chars, I think).

-Peff

* Re: Regression in 2.24.1 wrt progress indication
@ 2019-12-13 22:41       ` SZEDER Gábor
From: SZEDER Gábor @ 2019-12-13 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: Charles Diza, git

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 05:35:54PM -0500, Jeff King wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 05:21:56PM -0500, Charles Diza wrote:
>
> > > The bug in question typically showed due to the server side of the
> > > connection. Do you see it during a fetch (or pull) or push? If so, what
> > > server are you using? Is it possible that that server upgraded recently,
> > > and it has nothing to do with what version you're running on the client?
> >
> > It happens during pull.  I've seen this when pulling from gitlab.
> > Reverting to 2.24.0 fixes the problem.
>
> gitlab.com is running v2.22.2, which has the bug. And I see it whether
> my client is v2.24.0 or v2.24.1.

Me too.

> Are you sure it comes and goes between
> client versions?
>
> Note that it is impacted by your terminal width, as well (it only shows
> up if your terminal is lower than some width; 80 chars, I think).

88 chars.  8 chars of "remote: " prefix + 80 spaces.