From: James Hilliard <james.hilliard1@gmail.com>
To: Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com>
Cc: Ramon Fried <rfried.dev@gmail.com>,
	"buildroot@buildroot.org" <buildroot@buildroot.org>
Subject: Re: [Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Your daily results for 2022-05-20
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 12:24:39 -0600	[thread overview]

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 9:47 AM Thomas Petazzoni via buildroot
<buildroot@buildroot.org> wrote:

> Hello Ramon,
>
> On Sat, 21 May 2022 19:47:24 +0300
> Ramon Fried <rfried.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Let me know if this helps!
> > Yes.
> > I managed to reproduce.
> > How do I know if it's a regression, or a new configuration that was tested ?
> > How was the configuration generated ?
>
> Configurations are randomly generated. So it can either be a
> configuration that was never tested before, or some other package that
> was updated, and which has an impact on bitwise.
>
> If you look at:
>
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.net/?reason=bitwise-0.43
>
> You can see that the problem started appearing on May 1, 2022. It
> affects only riscv64 and m68k/5208, which is extremely strange (which
> only those architectures ?).

Well it likely started getting hit due to the full randomization I
recently started
running on my autobuilders, if you notice only my two autobuilders are hitting
it(which are the only ones running the non-default full randomization rather
than just package configuration randomization).

> What can be tried is take the first of those build issues (from May 1),
> reproduce it. And then checkout progressively older commits of
> Buildroot (before May 1), and see when it started failing.

If it's only my autobuilders it likely just wasn't getting good coverage before,
there were also a lot of other bugs that full randomization uncovered that
were masking other issues by causing super early build failures, so good
chance it's not actually a regression but an issue that just never showed up
before due to poor test coverage of certain toolchain configurations.