Sure, uploaded https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/2/6/856. PTAL. jin On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 3:38 PM Eric Biggers wrote: > On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 06:11:49PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote: > > On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:39:53PM -0800, Greg KH wrote: > > > On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 11:09:37AM -0800, Jin Qian wrote: > > > > From: Jin Qian > > > > > > > > partial backport from 21fc61c73c3903c4c312d0802da01ec2b323d174 > upstream > > > > to v4.4 to prevent virt_to_page on highmem. > > > > > > Ted, any objection to this patch? > > > > No objections with my ext4 hat on. > > > > It should be noted though that this is a partial backport because it > > only fixes ext4, while Al's original upstream fix addressed a much > > larger set of file systems. In the Android kernel the f2fs fix had > > been backported separately. But for the upstream kernel, it *might* > > be the case that we should try backporting the original commit so that > > in case there is some other general purpose distribution decides (a) > > to base their system on 4.4, and (b) support a 32-bit kernel, they get > > the more general bug fixes which applies for btrfs, isofs, ocfs2, nfs, > > etc. > > > > I haevn't been paying attention to what LTS kernels general purpose > > distro's are using, so I don't know how important this would be. And > > if there are companies like Cloudflare which are using upstream LTS > > kernel, it seems unlikely they would want to use a 32-bit kernel, > > so.... shrug. Greg, I'll let you decide if you want to backport the > > full commit or not. > > > > (We had a similar discussion on the AOSP kernel, and came to the > > conclusion that we only needed to make the patch support ext4. No one > > was going to test the other file systems besides ext4 and f2fs, > > anyway. But the calculus might be different might be different for > > the general upstream LTS kernel.) > > > > Well, the main point of backporting this change is to fix symlink > decryption on > 32-bit systems. So, it would be needed on both ext4 and f2fs. Jin, it > might be > a good idea to fix f2fs in this patch at well, since unlike the AOSP > kernels, > the LTS kernels do not have the latest f2fs backported to them. > > I don't think backporting this change for other filesystems is particularly > important, since if I understand correctly, the reasons that Al made the > change > originally were: > > - to allow following symlinks in RCU mode, but that's not implemented in > old > kernels > > - to prevent a process from using up all kmaps and deadlocking the system, > which > I'm not sure is a real problem (someone would need to try to put > together a > reproducer), but if so it would probably just be a local device of > service. > > Also if we actually backported the full commit there are follow-on fixes > such as > e8ecde25f5e that would be needed as well but might be missed. > > Thanks, > > - Eric >