* quick help - linux Industrial IO Hardware Triggers
@ 2014-08-20 18:03 Sricharan Chalasani
From: Sricharan Chalasani @ 2014-08-20 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi List,

Thanks in advance.

In the existing IIO drivers (linux-3.16), my understanding is that Hardware
Triggers are just used to copy sampled data from the ADC to the Kernel
buffer. I think none of the hardware triggers are really configuring ADC to
Start the analog to digital conversion.

I have a Hardware Counter on my Board. I am planning to configure my
Counter overflow interrupt as an IIO Hardware Trigger. In my IIO ADC driver
probe function I am planning to start my Counter for the first time. Once
the counter overflow interrupted is generated, inside the counter ISR, I am
planning to configure ADC to start analog to digital conversion on all the
channels (4 of them), one sample on each channel and once the Conversion is
completed, I am planning to copy the Sampled data to Kernel buffer
associated with the Trigger.

I will program the Counter again and wait for interrupt and repeat the
steps above. I am planning to continue this approach indefinitely.

Does this approach satisfy the principles of IIO Subsystem ? Am I missing
anything here in understanding the IIO Subsystem properly ?

Thanks in advance,

Sricharan,
Pune (India).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* quick help - linux Industrial IO Hardware Triggers
@ 2014-08-20 19:05 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2014-08-20 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 11:33:26PM +0530, Sricharan Chalasani wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> In the existing IIO drivers (linux-3.16), my understanding is that Hardware
> Triggers are just used to copy sampled data from the ADC to the Kernel buffer.
> I think none of the hardware triggers are really configuring ADC to Start the
> analog to digital conversion.

<snip>

Why not ask this on the iio driver mailing list?  The developers there
should be able to help answer your questions better than anyone else.

thanks,

greg k-h

* quick help - linux Industrial IO Hardware Triggers
@ 2014-08-21  3:39   ` Sricharan Chalasani
From: Sricharan Chalasani @ 2014-08-21  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,

I have a query on Linux Industrial IO Subsystem. I am particularly
interested in understanding how to use Hardware Triggers. Like to use
Counter overflow interrupt as a Trigger for conversion from Analog to
digital in my case. Somehow I failed to find-out the proper mailing list to
post my query. I know that I need to post my query to Industrial IO mailing
list.

Could someone suggest me which is the correct mailing list in this regard.

Thanks in advance,

Sricharan.

@ 2014-08-21  4:07     ` Kristofer Hallin
From: Kristofer Hallin @ 2014-08-21  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Try search for linux-iio using Google and click on the first link [1].
Also, take a look on vgers list index [2].

[1] http://wiki.analog.com/software/linux/docs/iio/iio
[2] http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html

@ 2014-08-21  9:32       ` Anders Darander
From: Anders Darander @ 2014-08-21  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 21 August 2014 06:07, Kristofer Hallin <kristofer.hallin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try search for linux-iio using Google and click on the first link [1]. Also,
> take a look on vgers list index [2].
>
> [1] http://wiki.analog.com/software/linux/docs/iio/iio
> [2] http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html

In addition to Kristofers suggestions, take a look at the MAINTAINERS
file in the
source tree.

Cheers,
Anders

> On 21 Aug 2014 05:40, "Sricharan Chalasani" <sricharan.chalasani@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a query on Linux Industrial IO Subsystem. I am particularly
>> interested in understanding how to use Hardware Triggers. Like to use
>> Counter overflow interrupt as a Trigger for conversion from Analog to
>> digital in my case. Somehow I failed to find-out the proper mailing list to
>> post my query. I know that I need to post my query to Industrial IO mailing
>> list.
>>
>> Could someone suggest me which is the correct mailing list in this regard.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Sricharan.

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Why not ask this on the iio driver mailing list?  The developers there
>>> should be able to help answer your questions better than anyone else.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> greg k-h

Anders Darander
EPO guidelines 1978: "If the contribution to the known art resides
solely in a computer program then the subject matter is not
patentable in whatever manner it may be presented in the claims."