* Re: Back ports question
       [not found] <CAE5JcOWEv65JjjhV0LyvTSBPYKrEyZem_+Wy07Cz4qaLP7218A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-04-09 23:38 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2014-04-09 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shridatt Sugrim; +Cc: backports

Cc'ing backports.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Shridatt Sugrim
<ssugrim@winlab.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Hey Luis, I was trying to build a back ported version of iwlwifi for 3.2.0
> kernel. But I'm kinda lost as to how I get this to work. Do you still work
> on this / have  pointer on how to build against a running kernel?

Yeap, still chugging on backports. The best reference is the wiki:

https://backports.wiki.kernel.org

Have you tried that by any chance?

Be sure to use this repo:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/backports/backports.git

I just pushed out two tags I forgot to peg based on the new updates
form yesterday so if you have a fresh tree just git fetch --tags.

> Basically here is my problem: The older nodes use a non-pae kernel, but some
> of the newer wifi cards require the new iwlwifi driver. I'm trying to build
> the iwlwifi module against my current running kernel 3.2.0-60-generic. To
> that end I cloned the linux backports and hopped to the linux-3.2.y branch.
> But from here I don't know where to go.  Can I just slice out the iwlwifi
> directory  and graft it onto my existing source tree?

Sure, but a few notes. The branch on backports for linux-3.2.y is for
the respective linux-stable.git tree and its own linux-3.2.y branch.
If you want the latest you have the option of either using Linus' tree
and hopping on v3.14 (later Greg will have started a linux-3.14.y
branch on linux-stable.git) and using the backports linux-3.14.y
branch. If you want the very latest and greatest you can just stick to
the master branch of backports, and do git describe. That will tell
you the respective linux-next tag that you should use so
backports-20140320 tag right now means that you should have a
linux-next that is caught up to next-20140320. If you hop onto the
backports linux-3.14.y branch it is designed for the linux-stable.git
tree and if Greg hasn't pushed updates to it for v3.14 yet you can
just use Linus' tree and 'git reset --hard v3.14' to force it to
rewind to v3.14.

Since its a pain to expect folks to juggle tons of trees well (Linus'
tree, linux-stable.git, linux-next.git) and also the ksrc-backports
directory which we use to carry all the stable kernels headers we
support in case you want to test compile something accross all kernels
with ckmake, we provide a python script that does all the tree
management / synchs for you. On a clean system as a regular user in
your home directory you can just run:

devel/backports-update-manager

That'll do all the synching for you. In the next linux-next iteration
I hope to nuke a whole bunch of old kernels and get us to only require
supporting up to 3.2. so you'll need to run this then if you're a
developer and wish to also nuke all the old junk.

Another option is for you to wait for a release to be kicked out on
the release page:

  Luis

* Re: Back ports question
@ 2014-04-09 23:38   ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2014-04-09 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shridatt Sugrim; +Cc: backports

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another option is for you to wait for a release to be kicked out on
> the release page:

Oops that page is:

http://drvbp1.linux-foundation.org/~mcgrof/rel-html/backports/

Right now we don't have a v3.14 release yet or the latest tag'd
linux-next release but I'm working on that.

  Luis

* Re: Back ports question
@ 2014-04-10 15:43   ` Shridatt Sugrim
From: Shridatt Sugrim @ 2014-04-10 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez; +Cc: backports

Thanks Luis, and Backports :)

I'm pretty sure I've cloned that repo because I was reading the docs from
back ports wiki. I guess I should build the 3.2.y that's in the similarly
branch instead of trying to keep my tree? I'll give the update manager a
shot and see what happens, if not I'll try to build what is in the 3.2.y
branch with my running config, and hope that it works.

-James

--
Shridatt Sugrim
Winlab

* Re: Back ports question
@ 2014-04-10 17:16     ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2014-04-10 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shridatt Sugrim; +Cc: backports

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Shridatt Sugrim
<ssugrim@winlab.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Thanks Luis, and Backports :)
>
> I'm pretty sure I've cloned that repo because I was reading the docs from
> back ports wiki. I guess I should build the 3.2.y that's in the similarly
> branch instead of trying to keep my tree?

I'm under the impression you have a backports on a linux-3.2.y branch
(maybe we should rename these branches to backports-3.2.y for emphasis
and to distinguish from Linux names), if so my objective was to try to
convince you that that branch is only for backporting 3.2 kernel code.
In other words it would produce a backports-3.2 sort of release, and
that release can be used for *any* supported kernel below 3.2, it *is
not* mean to be used when you are on the 3.2 kernel on your Debian
box. You want the latest and greatest backports releases, either the
latest stable release or one based on linux-next.

We've struggled with trying to educate a bit better on this buts its
unclear what we can do to help with this mild but very important
difference.

> I'll give the update manager a
> shot and see what happens, if not I'll try to build what is in the 3.2.y
> branch with my running config, and hope that it works.

You don't want to use the 3.2.y branch on either linux or backports,
you want to use the 3.14.y branch on both, or if daring try the master
branch on backports and a respective linux-next tag. That or you can
wait for a public backports-3.14.y release or a new linux-next based
release.

  Luis

* Re: Back ports question
@ 2014-04-10 17:44   ` Shridatt Sugrim
From: Shridatt Sugrim @ 2014-04-10 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez; +Cc: backports

Ok, I see what I'm supposed to do. I'll re-clone to get a fresh copy (just
neater).

Thanks Luis!

--

@ 2014-04-14 20:32     ` Shridatt Sugrim